Quantcast

Help with my Partial Mash process!

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

MrEggSandwich

Reaction score
Trying to dial in my process and could use some help, lot's a great info here, and it gets over-whelming at times!

I am brewing a Double IPA tomorrow (Partial Mash)...

I will be mashing 5lbs of grain, the rest extract.

Full 8.5 gallon 90 minute boil, get 6 gallons into fermenter. I have a keggle as my brew pot, and several 3/4/5 gallon pots to mash sparge.

-I plan to heat 7.5 qts of strike water to 161 to mash at 150ish. All grain will be in a cotton grain bag. I will place bag into 160 water, for a 45 minute mash.

-I will heat another 7.5 qts of sparge water (I think I have been using too much sparge water in the past) to 165 (more conversion?).

-Pull grain bag out of mash pot, and place bag into strainer to get all goodness out, then dunk the bag in the sparge water, and let sit for 15 minutes.

I will pour everything into brew pot (should be 2.5-3 gallons of wort?)....Am I ok just topping up with water to 8.5 gallons, and start boil from there? I typically have water in brew kettle first, pouring wort from mash/sparge into it, then starting boil.

Anything glaringly wrong in my process? Should I have heated water in brew kettle to pour wort into?