Help with my next brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveMur

Reaction score
Hi all,

Short term lurker and first time poster. I'm new to home brewing and looking for some help/advice on my next brew. I've been at it for the past few months starting with an extract brew before moving on to BIAB. So far I've done 1 gallon batches of Wheat beer and just bottled a Session IPA.

At the weekend I finally finished converting a 30l fv bucket to a brew kettle and made a 2 1/2 gallon clone of Brewdog Zeitgeist.

Now that that's fermenting I want to make a start on planning my next brew and maximise the use of my kettle. I'm keen on Belgium style beers and my hope is to brew 5 gal, keeping 3 gals as is and trying to sour the other 2 gals, one just straight and the other as a kriek beer. As I'm still new and impatient my plan would be try the fast sour approach.

I realise a lot of this is down to individual taste but wondered if anyone with some experience might recommend a style/recipe to look at that'll accommodate all 3 beers? My personal thought is work away with Blonde Ale.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Dave

Make sure to watch your hops if you're going to split batches--sours like as low amount as possible. I would shoot for one batch as a normal beer and then do another sour batch that you can split. I know you don't want to tie up your bucket, but maybe go grab a plastic fermentation bucket so you can jump right to the next batch.

Make sure to watch your hops if you're going to split batches--sours like as low amount as possible. I would shoot for one batch as a normal beer and then do another sour batch that you can split. I know you don't want to tie up your bucket, but maybe go grab a plastic fermentation bucket so you can jump right to the next batch.
Thanks for the tip, I have a 1 gallon plastic & 3 gallon glass fv so could quite easily pick up another cheap fv and do 2 brews, use the glass for the sour so I don't "contaminate" it as it were. I'll definitely bare it in mind while searching recipes.

Back