Help with my keezer not cooling!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jphebbie2

Reaction score
So I have had my keezer for about a year now. It is a very old gibson chest freezer that i Got it for free off craigslist and completely overhauled it with a paint job, temp controller, collar ect..I put 4 taps on it and its big so it also doubles as a lager chamber, cold crash ect...Last night I set my love temp controller to cold crash from 44 serving temp down to 33 to cold crash for 24 hrs or so. When I woke up it was still at 44. Judging by the bit of ice build up on the inside, about a square foot of the inside rear wall is getting real cold. but it seems that the rest of the coils are not cooling properly and thus the unit can stay at temp but not seem to cool beyond that. Any ideas what could be wrong? I havent moved it or unplugged it for a at least 6 months. It has been working great until last night when I noticed it wasnt cooling. Any help is much appreciated!
Cheers,
JP

Do you have a fan to improve air flow? That might help keep the coils from frosting up and reducing heat transfer ability. It's also possible that the original thermostat is in that area and is sensing that it's cold enough and shutting off the compressor.

I thinking that you have a pin hole leak that has taken while to bleed out. You can check to see if you have any oily film on the tubing, the compressor should be hot but not to where your hand can't stand it (be careful if you have a low charge it could burn you) the coils some time rub against the housing and make a small nick.

Back