Help with my IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33risGOOD

Reaction score
I have put together my first partial mash recipe, an IPA. I would love to hear some feed back. I have never done a partial mash before and want to make sure I have the right amounts. Will I be able to handle these grains in a 16qt pot?

malt & fermentables

50% 4Lbs American Two-row Pale

38% 3Lbs Light Dry Malt Extract

13% 1LBS Crystal 40L (I dont know what this does)

Hops (based somewhat on yoopers recipe)

boil 1oz 60 mins 1.0 Warrior (15.2 AA)
boil .5oz 35 mins 0.5 Amarillo (8.5 AA)
boil .5oz 30 mins 0.5 Simcoe (12.2 AA)

Dry hop .5 Amarillo and Simcoe 62.7 IBU

Wyeast 1450-PC Denny's Favorite 50

Batch size: 5.0 gallons. Full 5 gallon boil.
Original Gravity

Final Gravity

Color
9° SRM / 18° EBC
(Gold to Copper)

I would also add hops at 10, 5 and Knock Out for that IPA aroma and flavor in addition to what you have.

10 min - 1 oz Amarillo
5 min - .75 oz Simcoe
Knock Out - .5 oz Amarillo + .5 oz Simcoe

I would love to hear some feed back.
I think that you will enjoy this beer. If you love hops - and why else would you be doing an IPA - I would follow BendBrewer's advice and bump up the late hop additions.

You'll be doing 5 lbs of grain - I'm assuming BIAB here - in a 4 gal pot. Should be no problem. Especially since
Batch size: 5.0 gallons. Full 5 gallon boil.
you obviously have a bigger pot for backup.

You asked about the Crystal 40L and what it does: it will add color and a background caramel sweetness. One pound is probably the max for what should be a fairly dry beer. But it's all about your preferences - this is why we brew!

Thx for the feedback guys.

My plan is to steep/Mash all the base grains and specialty grains in the 16qt pot.

Then add that to my super large outdoor pot for the 5 gal boil.

what is BIAB?

My plan is to steep/Mash all the base grains and specialty grains in the 16qt pot.

At what temp and for how long. Steeping and Mashing aren't necessarily the same thing.

Thx for the feedback guys.

Then add that to my super large outdoor pot for the 5 gal boil.

what is BIAB?

Brew In A Bag. Its when you have all of your grains in one (or two) giant bags and then you mash like a normal AG beer. Instead of sparging, you just lift the bag out and let it drain. Your efficiency will be significantly less than AG (~60%), but for people without a MT you can do the BIAB in your kettle.

what is BIAB?

Brew In A Bag: Mashing in a grain bag in your kettle

As a side note, Mash is not necessary since the only specialty grain is crystal and that doesn't need to be mashed. Not trying to discourage, mashing only a base grain can be a good experience.

Recipe looks awesome, I wouldn't change a thing

I think you might want to add more extract if you really want to stick to the style of an IPA. According to my calculations this beer should come out around 5% ABV. Thats a little low if you want an IPA. This recipe is more like a really hoppy Pale Ale.

Plan was to have all the grain Canadian 2 row and crystal in one bag, which would be submerged for 30 minutes at 155 F

Then I would pour more hot water threw the grain sack.

Is this right?

No not really. Follow the guys talking about Brew In A Bag. That is what you are going to want to do and it involves a little more than what you have planned.

For great how-to info on BIAB, check out the sticky.

I've gotten some great efficiencies using Deathbrewer's method. You brew in one pot, heat up the sparge water in your "main" pot, and after lifting out the bag and letting it drain, you teabag it in the other pot. Then add the two together and commence to boil. It's a great way to ease into all-grain brewing.

Ok, that was exactly what I had planned.

Grains sit in hot water, let grains drip, sunk into more hot water.

combine hot waters lol

BIAB is the same as partial mash right?

BIAB is the same as partial mash right?

No it is just a method. People do All Grain batches using it as well.

Partial Mash means that you actually perform a Mashing of some of the grains, converting the starches to sugars and extracting the sugars. This isn't accomplished when simply steeping the grains as one does in an extract recipe.

Correct. Being the first time, you might want to get a bottle of iodine and test your conversion. I would let the mash sit for 45 minutes and then check with the iodine. I don't check anymore but it is a good thing to practice as you learn the mashing process.

You'll be converting the starches and extracting the sugars with the first running and will be rinsing left over sugars with the second 'soak'. The iodine will let you know when the starch conversion is complete.

Placed my order, unfortunatly wasnt able to get 2oz of Amarillo just one. So i got extra Simcoe.

Question

My last brew was a stout and i have washed yeast from whitelabs Irish Ale.

Would using this yeast radically change my IPA into something weird? Or would it be an interesting combo

Irish Ale yeast? I wouldn't as I like nice clean pale ales. Just grab a pack of US-05.

Irish Ale is def not standard for an American IPA, but who knows... maybe it'll be interesting. You are the brewer

I know its definitly not the standard! that is for sure :)

Im just dieing to make a starter lol. I already purchased dry yeast for this one.

Plan was to have all the grain Canadian 2 row and crystal in one bag, which would be submerged for 30 minutes at 155 F

Then I would pour more hot water threw the grain sack.

Is this right?

That sounds ok, but go up to 45 minutes at least for the mash. Stir well, and stir some more, so that the grain is thoroughly wetted.

As far as the hopping, remember that you get bitterness and not much aroma and flavor from hops added before 20 minutes left in the boil. So I'd change the hops schedule to do this:

Bittering hops 60 minutes
Flavor hops 15 minutes
Finishing hops 5 minutes.
Dryhops.

Yooper :)

Thanks for dropping in.

I took the hop schedule more or less from your IPA in the recipe section.

i was able to get ahold of 1oz warrior, 1oz amarillo 2oz Simcoe.

How should I work these best.

Yooper :)

Thanks for dropping in.

I took the hop schedule more or less from your IPA in the recipe section.

i was able to get ahold of 1oz warrior, 1oz amarillo 2oz Simcoe.

How should I work these best.

Unless your doing "continuous hopping" like my recipe says, by adding a hop pellet or two every minute until 0 minutes are left, I'd recommend adding 1/2 the amarillo and simcoe at 15 minutes, and 1/2 at 5 minutes, and then dry hop after primary fermentation.

Ideally, you'd have a few more hops for an IPA. An ounce of amarillo for dryhopping, and 1/2 ounce of simcoe for dryhopping, and 1/2 ounce of both for aroma and dryhops.

So I fished my first partial mash, thanks everyone.

I think it went fairly well, my mash temp may have been a bit high because I did not submerge the thermometer deep enough the first few times and realized it was a alot hotter in the bottom then the top. but I stirred it often and correct the temp half way threw.

My OG was suppose to be 1.051 and I got 1.048. Likely due to the fact I didnt measure my top off water and put in a lil extra. Hopefully this beer turns out great!

I have an ounce of Simcoe, i was gonna dry hop with. Is Simcoe used for dryhopping? (I hope)

Apparently my effieciency was 89.2 ( I must have calculated this wrong)

Back