Help With My Hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msbs2003

Reaction score
HI,

im just drinking a glass of my very first home brew(beer). its more than tasty and the father in law thought i poured him a shop bought beer. but i seem to be having some problems with my hydrometer. no matter at what stage i took any readings with it, the reading was exactly the same(SG 20) ????? in the end i went by instinct and kegged it by reading the instructions for brewing without a hydrometer.

can anyone help.

msbs

Do you have the stand/tube for the hydrometer sampling?

Run your (tap) water slowly while holding a theremometer under the running water and try to get it to 69F. Then fill the tube. Take another reading to be sure you are pretty much on 69F.

Now place your hydrometer in there. It should read 1.000. If it doesn't then record your reading. Then subtract/add that to 1.000 and you'll get your difference of how much your hydrometer is off. Use that number (a + or -) when calculating future readings.

Or you can go get another one if you feel you need it...some others may chime in and say throw it away...I'm not one of them.:D

If the paper "gage" is loose then just go get another one it'll never be right.

Was there enough ale in the tube to float the hydrometer? It can't be touching the bottom of the tube to get a good reading.

Another good tip using a hydrometer is after you place in the test tube and it is floating ;) give it a quick twist and it will disturb any of the bubbles that form on the hydrometer when you first put it in.

Yes, there are conversion charts, but one degree Brix is about 0.004 SG. I have a Brix finish hydrometer and have to remember to use the tall tube to float it.

I had a similar problem and decided that the froth that clings to the hdrometer gives it extra buoyancy so from then on i took a sample from the brew in a tall thin vase and slipped the hydromoetr into that after realeasing the gas from the brew by shaking it up..Not sure if you brewmasters would agree but the reading semed better.

I am yet to use my hydrometer but when I do and have taken the reading is it safe to pour the liquid back in the fermenter or will it be contaminated?

Back