Help with My First Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HossTheGreat

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm going to be brewing my first Kolsch in the next week or so and I've seen a number of different suggestions on fermentation temps. I'm using an extract kit from morebeer with White Labs WLP029 yeast. The instructions on the kit simply say to ferment at 62 degrees and that's it. But from what I've been reading on this board it seems like there may be more too it than that to get a better beer.

So let's say that I primary at 62 degrees. Then what should I do? I've seen people suggest bringing it up to about 68 degrees or so for 2-3 days (although some don't even mention this step. I assume this would be for Diacetyl Rest), rack to a secondary, then gradually (by a few degrees a day) bring the temp down to lagering temps and let it sit in the secondary for 4-6 weeks. Does this sound about right to everyone? Also, I don't keg as of now, so I'll be bottling. Do I need to raise the temp back up gradually before getting ready to bottle?

All suggestions are welcome. Thanks for the help everyone!

I have made two batches that have come out great. I left in primary for 2 weeks at 65ish. Racked to secondary for 2-3 weeks and put it in the basement 50ish. bottled and let sit for a month at room temp.

both kolsches i've made have come out well, but the second one was fermented lower, around 66. i left it in the primary for two weeks as well and then crash cooled it for almost a week, but i keg, so i don't know if that's good for bottling. i would definitely rack to secondary after 2 weeks like the previous poster and let it clear, the kolsch yeast is notorious for taking a while to clear.

I just popped a few bottles of my kolsch this past weekend and it came out perfect. I fermented at about 65F in the primary, then in the secondary turned the thermostat down 3 degrees every day until it got down to 34F and left it there for a couple of weeks. Turned out to be one of my best beers ever, very light and crisp.

OK, thanks everyone. I use a fridge that can only get to the mid 40's at best, so I'll just crank it down as far as I can in the secondary.

Back