Help with MoreBeer recipe..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikejmiller71

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post. I want to try the 'Jim Baumann's Milk Stout - All Grain' from MoreBeer but the recipe seems to be lacking some info:

? Total mash time
? Mash temp
? Total boil time
? Amount of sparge water (or at least what the boil volume should start at).

I was just gonna:
*mash in at 158
*mash at 152 for 75 minutes
*mash out at 170 for 10 minutes
*Sparge up to 5 gal
*Boil for 90 minutes

The kit comes with:
Malt:
10 lbs 2-Row
8 oz Caramunich
8 oz Special B
8 oz Black Roasted Barley
8 oz Black Patent
Hops:
2 oz Willamette - 60 min
1 oz Kent Goldings - 15 min

FWIW, I have a Braumeister and can do a step mash if anyone has suggestions for this malt combo.

Boil time is 60 minutes (the first hop addition). Mash time is generally 60 minutes, unless you test for conversion sooner than that.

I mash my stouts at 154-156 usually. No need for a step mash in that recipe.

Your boil volume is whatever your volume needs to start at to end at 5 gallons in the end. For me, that's 7 gallons but some people boil off less than I do. Whatever you boil off in an hour, add that to 5 gallons, and then you'll have your boil volume. If you're boiling for 90 minutes (no need, but you can), then make sure you start with more than 6.5 gallons, assuming you boil off at least 1 gallon an hour.

I should have mentioned I will be using lactose. Will the temp higher boil have an effect on that?

Typo, I meant the higher mash temp. Lactose goes in the boil so, non-issue, appreciate the help.

Going try a little peanut butter extract in the keg. Was gonna try PB2 but have heard mixed results.

Latest posts

Back