Help with moose drool clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregkeller

Reaction score
I've got Austin Home Brew's Moose drool clone and have a few quick questions.

1) I have been getting about 82% efficiency and their kits are built around 70%. What do I do? Grains are already mixed, so I can't take out a lb of just one ingredient. I plugged it into brewpal and if i get my normal efficiency i'll end up with an OG of 1.062 instead of 1.053. Should i scale this up to 6-6.5 gallons instead? or will that water things down a little bit? especially with the hops. I could add more hops i guess.

2) Yeast. I've got WL002 English ale, which came with the kit as the recommended yeast, but there does not seem to be a way that i can get the 79% attenuation that the recipe calls for with this yeast. The recipe is supposed to start at 1.053 and end at 1.012. I don't see that happening with this grain bill and this yeast.

So if i leave everything the way it is. I'll overshoot the OG by .009, come in with a final gravity of around 1.020-1.023, and an ABV that's lower than the commercial product. Who has some ideas?

I've never had the commercial moose drool, so if i miss an exact clone it's not a huge deal. I just want a tasty brew, and it seems like the recipe was designed to finish around one set of parameters, and i'm going to have a completely different set. Supposed to finish around 1.012 and actually finishing at 1.023 is going to taste a whole lot different right?

relax,brew the kit as you would usually.I wouldn't sweat it if you were over gravity,you will still have great beer.
as for the yeast,I would stick with the wlp002,the yeast makes the beer.I use it for the can you brew it clone version.

For the gravity issue, just remove some of the preboil wort and add water to make up the volume to get the lower gravity. Just take a preboil volume so you know how much to remove.

Don't sweat the yeast, it will get you there.

Edit: I meant take a preboil gravity, you should know the volume to though

I think i'm going to try subbing out the WLP002 with WLP007, as from white labs webpage the only difference between these two is the attenuation. I am just worried that i'm going to end up with an overly sweet beer. It's got 8 oz of malto dextrine in the kit also, and I know that isn't going to ferment much either. I'm cool with it coming in a little higher alcohol than expected, but I don't want an overly sweet beer.

It came out really tasty. I did everything I could to get the yeast to eat as much as they could. I made a nice sized starter, aerated as best I could before pitching and then since 002 flocs out so well I roused the fermentor a few times to try and get those last few gravity points. I think I finished at 1.017 or so and it was good.

Back