Help with Kolsch yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hubbs

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently made a cream ale based on BierMuncher's Cream of 3 Crops recipe. I modified it slightly to add wheat and oats to make a Cream of 5 Crops.

I pitched a healthy starter of Wyeast Kolsch, as suggested in the thread, and fermented it in the mid 50s for a couple of weeks, and then let it rise up to 65 before cold crashing and kegging. It finished at 1.006

I just tasted a slightly warm, uncarbonated sample, and it had a fairly distinct sweet flavor to it that I did not care for. I am really hoping that a couple of weeks of cold conditioning will improve the taste.

My only other experience with Kolsch yeast was with White Labs 0029 strain, with which I attempted a Helles. It was nothing short of terrible. It finished fairly sweet, and was practically undrinkable. Fortunately, I was able to pawn it off on a buddy with less discriminating taste buds than I.

I am wondering if I just don't like the Kolsch strains, or if it is something else.

Any ideas?

I believe the Internet says that carbonation increases perceived bitterness, so hopefully it offsets the sweetness.

Brew the recipe again with a different yeast, and see how you like it. Or, use the WY Kölsch yeast in an IPA (preferably something you've made before). It makes great IPAs, and if something like that turns out too sweet for you, you may have your answer.

And, of course, don't judge this current batch by a hydrometer sample. It'll be different when conditioned and chilled.

did you perchance taste a sample after you already added the priming sugar?

I was kegging, and force carbing so no priming sugar.

I saved the yeast, my buddy is going to use some in an American wheat we are making. We are doing a full barrel, and will try using different yeasts.

I split this recipe with a different buddy who pitched US05 so I will definitely try his, although he does not control his fermentation temperatures. We'll see how his turns out.

I think I will try making a true Kolsch and testing that to determine whether I really don't like the yeast.

Thanks

I had the same issue recently using Wyeast California Lager yeast. Is was sickeningly sweet after a week in the keg. I left it for another week and it was delicious. Could just be a trait of the "hybrid" yeasts that they take a little time to mellow out...

I hope you are right man. I was excited to brew this with the Kolsch, I was just a little disappointed in the outcome.

Normally, I can taste if a beer is going to be good from the sample, this time I am really not sure.

I'm wondering if the corn in the recipe takes a while to 'mellow' out. I'll wait and see what happens with this one. I'm out of town for the week, so that will help with temptation to start drinking this anyway.

My first Kolsch yeast experiment was fermented in the 70s and probably pulled of the yeast too yearly and finished in the 1.020 range, I hope I am not pre-judging the strain too early. My buddy who finished the keg said he had to force his way through 10 pints or so, and he will drink anything starting with a b and finishing eer.

This cream was supposed to go to another friend's house warming over the 4th weekend to appease the BMC drinkers, but I hate to crappy beer. Does the reputation of home brewers no favors. I am serving an interesting saison for those that actually like beer.

I'll report back in a couple of weeks.

Back