help with kegorator co2 pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hungry4hops

Hop to it!
Reaction score
Hi so the wife and I got a kegorator for christmas its a nostalgia that holds a full size keg. Dont have homebrew kegs yet so we decided to get a 1/6 barrel of craft beer, after driving to several different beer distributors finnaly got a keg of ithica flower power. Took us forever to find somewhere to get the co2 filled, ended up getting an exchange instead. Went to hook everything up followed the instructions to a t, but no matter how I turn on the gas or have the psi set the pressure relief valve leaks or goes crazy. We got the kegorator off of amazon and really don't want to return it. Please help! Thanks. Neal

Try again

ForumRunner_20121230_160133.jpg

Have you tried turning the pressure adjustment all the way to zero before opening the tank valve? If it starts leaking as soon as you turn the pressure just barely on, it's probably a faulty PRV or regulator.

Have you tried turning the pressure adjustment all the way to zero before opening the tank valve? If it starts leaking as soon as you turn the pressure just barely on, it's probably a faulty PRV or regulator.
yeah i tried that! its probaly faulty, would i be able to block off the valve with like a bolt or something until i can get another regulator?

So I decided to disassemble the regulator to check the internals, I read a couple places online about people doing that. Didn't find anything obviously wrong with it, reassembled it and now it works fine! I still plan on buying a new regulator the one that came with the kegorator is probably just a cheapo. Thanks for your help I might pick up one of those brass fittings just to have as a back up!

Having played a lot of paintball in the past (yes, this is related), I've done my fair share of breaking down/cleaning out pressure regulators.

I know that you've said it's fixed, and that's great. But, for other people reading this tread, absolutely do not in any way "block" the pressure relief valve to stop it from leaking.

Chances are there could have been a small grain of gunk or something else that you did not see when you took the regulator apart that came out. I've had something like a single grain of sand prevent regulators from working properly in the past.

I know the output pressures from these regulators are low, comparatively speaking, but the pressures going into them still need to be respected.

Back