Help With Kegging System Requirements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I am new to kegging, but I have access to a virually unlimited supply of the five gallon kegs. I am going to start out with 2-3 of them and see what happens. These kegs were previously used for soda water, so they should be very clean.

I am just wondering if anybody knows of what all hardware I need to make this thing work?

Tubing? Connectors? Regulators...etc..etc..

I know I need a co2 tank!

You'll need a primary and secondary regulator. If you plan to have each keg at different pressures, you'll need more secondary regulators. If you want them at the same pressure, you can just use a manifold or simple 'T'. You'll need a gas disconnect and beer disconnect for each tap. You'll need gas line and 3/16" Beer line. You'll need faucets, shanks, and tail pieces for each tap.
Best bet, Call Micromatic (or go to their website) tell them what you have and they'll hook you up. Specify that you have ball lock kegs...if thats the case.

co2 tank
regulator
gas & beverage fittings for your kegs (ball or pin lock)
6-10' of 3/16" beverage tubing (get high quality tubing made for beverages)
5/16" tubing for the gas line
some sort of faucet
a refrigerator with all the shelves removed. (check craigslist for cheap used fridges)

Nice, I do in fact have access to as many ball lock corny kegs as I want, I know two bar owners and I have dibs on their empty soda water kegs. They are in great condition and I have already oxicleaned a few of them and all the parts are in great shape.

So I can get one tank, one primary regulator and then secondary regulators on each keg after that? Is that cheaper typically then buying a prefabbed regulator that has the primary and two secondary's all in line?

I am sorry, I just don't want to order the wrong stuff and my LHBS has no kegging equipment.

Nice, I do in fact have access to as many ball lock corny kegs as I want, I know two bar owners and I have dibs on their empty soda water kegs. They are in great condition and I have already oxicleaned a few of them and all the parts are in great shape.

So I can get one tank, one primary regulator and then secondary regulators on each keg after that? Is that cheaper typically then buying a prefabbed regulator that has the primary and two secondary's all in line?

I am sorry, I just don't want to order the wrong stuff and my LHBS has no kegging equipment.

How many faucets do you plan to have? What styles of beer do you plan to serve?

You really only need one regulator. You could split the gas lines with a manifold or wye to serve multiple kegs all at the same pressure.

A second regulator (3rd, 4th, 5th, etc...) is only needed if you want to serve kegs at various pressures. Like if you had different styles that required different levels of carbonation.

I have a single regulator and it really not a big deal.

How many faucets do you plan to have? What styles of beer do you plan to serve?

You really only need one regulator. You could split the gas lines with a manifold or wye to serve multiple kegs all at the same pressure.

A second regulator (3rd, 4th, 5th, etc...) is only needed if you want to serve kegs at various pressures. Like if you had different styles that required different levels of carbonation.

I have a single regulator and it really not a big deal.

I am going with two taps/faucets. I am certainly going with dual regulator as different styles require different levels of carbonation and I also want to be able to carb one keg while still serving another.

As far as styles go..I run the gammut from southern english browns to imperial IPA and everything in between. My first two that are going to be ready for the kegs are a Kolsch and a Wit.......nice summer choices if I do say so myself.

Back