Help with IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avaserfi

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at a recipe (aside from a SMASH). I was trying to make it fit BJCP 14B guidelines for an American IPA. Cara-Pils was added for head retention and the Rye was put in to add a touch of spice, but I don't want it to be overpowering so it would taste like a Rye IPA.

Some ideas I was playing with was using Cascade as the FWH instead of Amarillo. If I did that I would have a 5 minute Cascade addition and also change the dry hop to .5 oz of each Amarillo, Simcoe and Cascade.

The goal was to make a beer that is extremely hoppy flavor wise, but well balanced between malt/IBUs. Any suggestions would be very helpful. My experimenting has still be limited and while reading is helpful it doesn't give a full idea of the flavors. I wasn't sure if my grain choices were the best and maybe my hop additions or choices could use some tweaking? Any advice would be appreciated!

BeerSmith Recipe Printout
Recipe: Unnamed IPA
Brewer: Andrew
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 6.73 gal
Estimated OG: 1.071 SG
Estimated Color: 9.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 53.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
13 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 88.14 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.08 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.39 %
8.0 oz Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 3.39 %
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort) Hops 12.9 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 18.0 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 17.8 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
2 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 14.75 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 29.50 qt of water at 160.4 F 153.0 F

I also forgot to ask I really enjoy a spicy kick in an IPA, like in HopDevil. What creates that flavor? I put in the rye, but doubt that is the common method.

I like your recipe...BUT...if you want rye in there for anything it should be about a pound (about 10%), it will also help with head retention because of betaglucens (sp?), which means that I personally like to add 10%-15%. This does mean though that you can take out the carapils if you like. For added spice I like to use flaked rye (which also helps with mouthfeel) instead of just malted rye.

Next is that I have been told that Victory/Munich really makes an IPA have that nice buscuity flavor and without it, the IPA is missing something. I tend to agree with this and you can take it or leave it.

Lower SRM is a personal favorite with me (malted Rye is really low and doesn't add much color) when making an IPA, although my Pliney the Middle Child is 12 SRM...a little dark, I am slowly moving towards lighter and lighter, work in progress.

Finally, if mashing low you will get a very thin and dry beer (possibly what you are looking for :) ) and I have found that using some Maris Otter to help keep a bit of malty without having to mash at 160*.

.02 out!

I like your recipe...BUT...if you want rye in there for anything it should be about a pound (about 10%), it will also help with head retention because of betaglucens (sp?), which means that I personally like to add 10%-15%. This does mean though that you can take out the carapils if you like. For added spice I like to use flaked rye (which also helps with mouthfeel) instead of just malted rye.

I didn't use 10% rye because I didn't want it to become a Rye IPA. I was shooting more for a regular IPA with a slight spice bite. If that makes any sense.

Next is that I have been told that Victory/Munich really makes an IPA have that nice buscuity flavor and without it, the IPA is missing something. I tend to agree with this and you can take it or leave it.

Finally, if mashing low you will get a very thin and dry beer (possibly what you are looking for :) ) and I have found that using some Maris Otter to help keep a bit of malty without having to mash at 160*.

I am shooting for a fairly dry beer, but I don't want it too thin. The primary goal is for the hops to be the main event malt is just there for the ride :D.

I don't really have any experience with Victory/Munich or Maris Otter. Any suggestions?

Maris Otter is a base malt. That would be used in place of the 2row.

I'd cut the base malt to 12lbs and add 1lb of Munich.

Maris Otter is a base malt. That would be used in place of the 2row.

I'd cut the base malt to 12lbs and add 1lb of Munich.

That would up the body and malt profile a little, right? Sounds like a good plan. Anyone have thoughts on the spicy/peppery flavor? It seems like there should be an alternative to rye.

How about hop bursting with something spicy like Stryian Goldings for the spice bite?

How about hop bursting with something spicy like Stryian Goldings for the spice bite?

That falls in line pretty well with what Designing Great Beers would recommend hop wise. Updated recipe taking into account the recommendations within the thread below.

Any comments are greatly appreciated. I really want my first recipe to turn out well, but it is a fairly daunting task since I don't feel like I have a ton of experience making them.

Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 9.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 59.6 IBU

Ingredients:
------------
12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 82.76 %
1 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 6.90 %
12.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.17 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.17 %

0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort) Hops 12.9 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 18.1 IBU
0.25 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (30 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
0.25 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (15 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 17.9 IBU
0.25 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 0.8 IBU

Mash Schedule:
Total Grain Weight: 14.50 lb
60 min Mash In Add 29.00 qt of water at 160.4 F 153.0 F

What spice bite are you looking for?

I like my IPAs dry, so I am cool with mashing lower and keeping the pale malt. I don't think Maris Otter is best in an IPA, but again, I want a crisp, dry IPA with a big hops profile that isn't sweet at all. I would ditch the rye, add something like munich, vienna, or victory, and find a hop with a good spice character. Careful though, you have a citrus, pine, resin type hop bill. Maybe some Willamette?

I feel you have the OG too high and the IBU too low.

For an IPA you should try to hit about a 1 to 1 ratio of OG to IBU. If you are going for an OG of 1.070 then IBU should be 70.

I have won gold medals in competitions keeping this rule.

Check out my recipe for Vail Pale Ale which won gold at the GABF three years.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/vail-pale-ale-60215/

Updated the recipe again. I removed the intent for spice, if I want to go with a spicy IPA. I will make a rye recipe later. I think this recipe is far more balanced than the previous ones and it should have a massive citrus flavor/aroma.

I would really appreciate more comments. I don't get to brew as often as I would like so I won't have a ton of chances to brew it, change slightly and brew again.

Recipe Specifications
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 9.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 71.3 IBU

Ingredients:
------------
12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 82.76 %
1 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 6.90 %
12.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.17 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.17 %

0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort) Hops 19.4 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 18.1 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (30 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 17.9 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.5 IBU

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 14.50 lb
60 min Mash In Add 29.00 qt of water at 160.4 F 153.0 F

You're brewing this for EdWort's BBB competition?

A pound of peat malt will give you that spice you're looking for :D

j/k

You're brewing this for EdWort's BBB competition?

A pound of peat malt will give you that spice you're looking for :D

j/k

lol I don't know. I doubt my first recipe will be competition worthy. I think I am going to send in a proven recipe to get feedback on my technique first since I made the switch to all grain not too long ago and want to ensure I get the basics down before finding out about my recipe making skills.

Bumping this up just in case someone missed it and has any insight. I really don't want to have a bad recipe when it is calling for this many hops!

Thanks for all the help.

The recipe looks very good with the latest revision.

I have some minor quibbles. I really see no need for the pound of Marris Otter.

I would say use all US 2-row pale. Or use all Marris Otter. One pound will not contribute much in the way of flavor.

My personal preference would be to go to a 90 minute boil for optimum utilization of bittering hops. Add more hops at 60, 30, 15, 5 and end of boil. That is MY preference. It may not be yours. I do suggest you think about doing the recipe a couple of times and experiment with the timing of your hop additions.

It will cost you a bit of money, but you will gain knowledge of what the different times will do to the hops and what you prefer.

Hmm, I thought the Marris Otter would give more malt depth. If I remove it I would up the 2-row to 13lbs and up the crystal up to 1lb. That should allow for a mouth feel that isn't too thin while retaining the hop focus I want (I think).

I don't want to have this beer be too bitter which is why I chose to use a mixture of FWH and later additions to get the IBUs up to 71. With this method I was looking for a very smooth flavorful beer that isn't as bitter as one would expect. Does this make sense?

Latest posts

Back