Help with ingredients please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Willsellout

Reaction score
Hello, this is my 3rd post here and I am hoping to brew in a couple weeks. I want to do some more reading to get the system/steps down before I even attempt anything.

I did buy a "sort of" brewing kit yesterday which came with a fermenting bucket w/3 pc airlock, siphon cane, 7lbs of Amber extract syrup some crystal hops and brewers yeast. I am placing an order for some more stuff this week from an online place as the store near me doesn't have a whole lot.
I am planning on just using a primary for this batch. I need to get a Hydrometer, thermometer, bottling bucket some sanitizer and stirring spoons with this order as well. But my question is:
With the ingredients I have, what choices do I have for beers to brew?
I would ultimately like to make a Brown ale with my first batch but am open to anything that will be fairly easy and tasty.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Cheesefood

Reaction score
You'd be able to make a decent Amber ale with those ingredients. I'd save your money and buy a secondary instead of a hydrometer.

OP
Willsellout

Willsellout

Reaction score
Cheesefood said:
You'd be able to make a decent Amber ale with those ingredients. I'd save your money and buy a secondary instead of a hydrometer.
So a hydrometer isn't necessary? Basically all the recipe's I've seen just say ferment for 2 weeks but I just don't want exploding bottles in my house:D
My primary is plastic should I invest in a carboy for my secondary? Also is it right that I want my secondary to be right at 5 gallons to leave less room for oxygen?

Thanks

Dan

Caplan

Reaction score
I'd get the 'amber ale' done rather that worry too much about further ingredients if it's your first brew. You'll be suprised just how good it'll be compared to a lot of commercial brews. Remember to spend some money on crown caps and a capper for your 'harvested' beer bottles though!;)

Caplan

Reaction score
Willsellout said:
So a hydrometer isn't necessary? Basically all the recipe's I've seen just say ferment for 2 weeks but I just don't want exploding bottles in my house:D
No it isn't, use a secondary to help clear and make sure a beer is fully fermented out.
Willsellout said:
My primary is plastic should I invest in a carboy for my secondary? Also is it right that I want my secondary to be right at 5 gallons to leave less room for oxygen?
Yes, get a glass carboy for secondary. Once your beer goes into secondary it should build up a little more CO2 to displace the air anyway. the 'Gap' should be small but it's probably not as important as just letting it rest undisturbed in secondary - there's no reason you should be pulling the top off to play with it - unless your actually bottling it!:)

Blender

Reaction score
And if you still want to make a brown. From the B3 Extract recipe collection. Add these grains to a steeping bag. Their kits are pretty good.

8 oz Crystal 60 L
8 oz Caravienne
4 oz Victory
4 oz Chocolate

1 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 min
1 oz Willamette @ 5 min
1 oz Willamette @ 1 min

OP
Willsellout

Willsellout

Reaction score
OK maybe I will just stick to an Amber this time around. So I have 2 oz of the Domestic raw crystal hops and brewers yeast along with a 7lb amber extract syrup. What should the measurements be? I am in the process of reading the online brewing guide that is listed in the FAQ section. Just not sure as to the process or measurements yet. Any advice?

Dan