Help with Imperial Smoked Porter recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caspio

Reaction score
So based on some commercial brews that I've had and recipes I've seen on here, I've been working on a recipe for an imperial smoked porter. Now that my grain order is finally in, it's time to get serious. Any help or suggestions with the recipe would be awesome!

Amount Item Type % or IBU
20.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter
6.00 lb Smoked Malt
4.00 lb Munich Malt - 20L
1.20 lb Chocolate Malt
2.00 oz Challenger [7.50%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 22.9 IBU
2.00 oz Challenger [7.50%] (30 min) Hops 16.0 IBU
1.02 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
0.55 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
2 Pkgs Nottingham

At 75% efficiency, this gives me an estimated OG of 1.078. Lately I've been getting a little better eff., but I've heard larger grain bills can lose a bit in that area.

Mash at 154-155 for an hour, IBUs are estimated at 40.

Note on the ingredients: it's been awhile since I've used smoked malt, so I'm not too familiar with it. From what I've seen with other folks recipes on here, it's a little less that what you guys are using. I'd like the smoke to be more of a background than an up-front thing. That, and the 6lbs that I did get completely cleared out my LHBS' stock, and they were looking at me like I was nuts. I don't know when they're going to be getting more, so unless you guys think I need way more, I'd prefer not to tweak that one.

Anyway, thoughts, comments, concerns and criticisms are welcome! This should be the biggest baddest darkest beer I've ever made :cross:

Edit: If I remember correctly, I plan on subbing out the challenger for a similar IBU bittering hop based on what's available from the LHBS. I had something planned, just can't remember off the top of my head what it is.

In addition to the ingredients listed above, I have the following from my recent buy that would be easy to sub/add in the recipe if you guys think they're appropriate: roast barley, black malt, caramel 60L, and vienna.

Looks tasty to me, assuming the smoked malt is German Rauchmalt and not Peat smoked malt. I would also suggest adding ~1 lb of medium-dark crystal (.5 lbs of black patent wouldn’t hurt either). Good luck brewing.

yes, the smoked malt is german rauch. LHBS doesn't carry peat smoked so i've never used it, but I've heard mixed things. I have plenty of 60L, so I could try adding in a bit of that. Thanks for the feedback

Back