Help with Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerd Bro

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am trying to concoct a recipe to really impress my buddy, who, according to his untappd, is a big fan of APA's. A trend I see on his untappd is that Galaxy, Simcoe, Citra, and Mozaic (in that order) seem to be his preference.

He also claims "smoothness" is important to him which made me consider an IPL, but I doubt all 4 hops could play together in a lager?

Does anyone think I could make a late addition heavy pale ale work with all 4 hops mentioned? If so, how/when would you utilize each?

For what it's worth I'm considering a partial mash grain bill of 2 row and miniscule amounts of Vienna and Honey malt (gold extract to hit a gravity of around 6), and focusing on late hop bursts taking center stage!

This is not your usual advice, and feel free to ignore it.

Pick one. Two, if you must. You're never going to pick out individual flavors if you just throw in all four, and while it will likely turn out well (lots of hops is lots of hops), you won't really have any idea what you've done. When you get to the point where a Galaxy APA and a Citra APA taste different to you, then start thinking about mixing them up.

Oh, and if you do pick one, don't pick Simcoe.

I agree that Simcoe as a single hop sucks the most of any I've tried! Buuuuuuuut, it plays very well with others. I've done cascade,centennial, Amarillo. I think your first (I would do ) is Galaxy/Simcoe.

Hi all!

I am trying to concoct a recipe to really impress my buddy, who, according to his untappd, is a big fan of APA's. A trend I see on his untappd is that Galaxy, Simcoe, Citra, and Mozaic (in that order) seem to be his preference.

He also claims "smoothness" is important to him which made me consider an IPL, but I doubt all 4 hops could play together in a lager?

Does anyone think I could make a late addition heavy pale ale work with all 4 hops mentioned? If so, how/when would you utilize each?

For what it's worth I'm considering a partial mash grain bill of 2 row and miniscule amounts of Vienna and Honey malt (gold extract to hit a gravity of around 6), and focusing on late hop bursts taking center stage!
Use my recipe here. You could split the hop additions into 2 or 3 hops if you want
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/base-pale-ale-recipe-for-single-hop-beers.673718/

Back