Help with hops on a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMonkster

Reaction score
I got an American Malt Liquor kit from AHS, it's an all grain kit. It has 7.5 pds of 6-row and 4 pds of flaked Maize. 1 oz of Cluster hops. I understand how to up the abv, but not sure how to adjust the hops. It calls for 2/3 oz @ 60 and 1/3 oz @ last 5. Ok, my question is: if I add 2.5 pds of 6-row and 2-3 pds of flaked Maize, what would the hops change too? Thanks in advance for any help!!!

1st I would suggest not altering the kit, but I doubt you will heed that advice

2nd, if you're going to increase the grain bill, keep the 6-row and corn at the same ratios, looks like roughly 2:1, so for every LB of corn, add 2 LBS of 6-row

3rd, the style doesn't really call for a lot of hop character, so increasing the hops might not be necessary

4th, if you want to increase the hops, look at the Bitterness Ratio, the number of IBUs compared to the OG. if the original recipe IBUs are 20 and the OG is 1.040, then the bitterness ratio is .500 (20/40). keep that ratio as you scale up the OG. increase it to 1.060, then increase hops to get an IBU of 30

good luck with it

jimyson said:
The question back to you is: What are you trying to accomplish? (Bitterness, Flavor, or Aroma of the hop utilization)

Just trying to up the Abv without messing up the hops.

GrogNerd said:
1st I would suggest not altering the kit, but I doubt you will heed that advice 2nd, if you're going to increase the grain bill, keep the 6-row and corn at the same ratios, looks like roughly 2:1, so for every LB of corn, add 2 LBS of 6-row 3rd, the style doesn't really call for a lot of hop character, so increasing the hops might not be necessary 4th, if you want to increase the hops, look at the Bitterness Ratio, the number of IBUs compared to the OG. if the original recipe IBUs are 20 and the OG is 1.040, then the bitterness ratio is .500 (20/40). keep that ratio as you scale up the OG. increase it to 1.060, then increase hops to get an IBU of 30 good luck with it

1) I will heed your advice
2 & 3) thanks for the info!!! I guess I'll make my own without the kit since I have this useful info from you!!!!

Back