Help with Hop Trellis needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alers22

Reaction score
I want to install a hop trellis and need a little insight on the design. I want it to be 10' high using 4x4 lumber. Do I need to set the posts in concrete in the ground or can I use those 4x4 steel fence post hardware? The design is simple. Any insight or other problems you see would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!
hoptrellis.jpg

I use 20 ft 4x4 and i dig a hole 4ft and fill around with rough gravel to let the water drain. Works great for the last five years.

My 2nd year plants put out bines that ran almost 40' by the end of the season (up 24 and across another 16 or so). So I'd definitely try for a taller rig. The 20 footers sound like a great fit. I thought 4x4's maxed out at 16'.

Don't set them in concrete, as once the wood shrinks the gap will fill with rain water and accelerate rotting. Better is to dig your post holes a foot deeper, fill that foot with packed gravel, set your posts and fill around them with more packed gravel...

Cheers!

I live in pa and there is a sawmill in the area. I have seen them at local lumberyards also never the big box stores.

I sunk a 1x2 into the ground and anchored it. At the top I have 5 hooks screwed it. I run twine up and down through each hook and tie one end off on the bottom of the 1x2 and the other end is anchored in the ground next to the plants. As I train the plants they climb up the twine. When it comes time to pick them I untie the twine end that's hooked to the bottom of the 1x2 and drop them down for easy access. I have 7 2nd year plants coming in right now.

Back