Help with hop schedule,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paliessmann

Reaction score
Just bought a bunch of Apollo, nugget and cluster hops from the hop direct yard sale. I'm using 9.9 # breiss golden light extract and I'm making an IPA. Any one work these hops before and have some tips for me?

Just bought a bunch of Apollo, nugget and cluster hops from the hop direct yard sale. I'm using 9.9 # breiss golden light extract and I'm making an IPA. Any one work these hops before and have some tips for me?

Apollo is a super-dank hop that, if used in heavy doses toward the end of the boil, can impart a slightly "catty" aroma to the beer. I like it, though. Nugget is a good, smooth bittering hop that will impart some woody/spicy aroma if used late. And Cluster is a classic American bittering hop with low oil content, so it won't do too much in the way of imparting hop aroma. If it were me, I might do something like...

14 grams Apollo FWH
21 grams Nugget @ 30
14 grams Apollo @ 20
14 grams Cluster @ 20
14 grams Nugget @ 15
14 grams Apollo @ 10
14 grams Nugget @ 10
14 grams Nugget @ 5
28 grams Apollo @ flameout
28 grams Apollo @ dry hop for 3-5 days (3-5 days into fermentation)

I just threw that together, so you would certainly want to tweak the amounts, but I like that type of an IPA schedule.

Cheers!

Brulosopher said:
Apollo is a super-dank hop that, if used in heavy doses toward the end of the boil, can impart a slightly "catty" aroma to the beer. I like it, though. Nugget is a good, smooth bittering hop that will impart some woody/spicy aroma if used late. And Cluster is a classic American bittering hop with low oil content, so it won't do too much in the way of imparting hop aroma. If it were me, I might do something like...

14 grams Apollo FWH
21 grams Nugget @ 30
14 grams Apollo @ 20
14 grams Cluster @ 20
14 grams Nugget @ 15
14 grams Apollo @ 10
14 grams Nugget @ 10
14 grams Nugget @ 5
28 grams Apollo @ flameout
28 grams Apollo @ dry hop for 3-5 days (3-5 days into fermentation)

I just threw that together, so you would certainly want to tweak the amounts, but I like that type of an IPA schedule.

Cheers!

Awesome thanks for the tips!

Back