Help with Hop Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bleme

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to brew a hoppy, citrusy, wheat beer. My fermentables are:

6lbs Wheat LME
.5lbs Briess Caramel 10L

For Hops I have:
1oz Magnum
1oz Cascade
1oz Willamette
1oz Amarillo

I know I want to bitter with the Magnum. I was thinking of dry hopping an ounce, but not sure which and I'm definitely not stuck on the idea if you think they will work better somewhere (or somewhen?) else. :rockin:

Dryhop with cascade and/or amarillo for a citrusy aroma. Put the willamette at 5 mins. Or you could leave out the willamette and add .25 oz each of the cascade and amarillo at 5-0 minutes.

Plan a:
60 - magnum
5 - willamette
dh7d - cascade
dh7d amarilo

Plan b:
60 - magnum
0 - .25 cascade
0 - .25 amarillo
dh7d - .75 cascade
dh7d - .75 amarillo

What do you think of plan b, but add Willamette at 15 for more hop flavor?

Any thoughts about adding 8oz of honey malt as well?

With either plan you're not going to feel a need for more hop flavor. The philosophy, such as it is, behind my plan B is to focus on the bright American flavors of cascade and amarillo. Under that plan you'll just save the willamette for another batch. Though willamette is of course an American hop, its flavor is more English-y than the cascade and amarillo (it's a descendant of fuggle), and so is more slightly-spicy, slightly-earthy. So I kind of feel like it might gt lost behind the citrus and floral aromas of the cascade and amarillo. Putting the willamette at 15 will boil off any bright flavors and contribute some bitterness, which I don't think you need with a full ounce of magnum at 60 - which is why I had it at 5 minutes in plan A.

I haven't used honey malt so take this advice with a grain of NaCl. While I don't think it will hurt, I've learned to shy away from brewing "kitchen sink" beers. With the exception of my Taddy Porter clone, almost all of my best beers have been made from one or two malts and one or two hops. Remember that your extract has at least two malts in it already, and you're adding the c10. So if you do add honey malt, I'd say hold the line there. That's just my $0.02.

Plan b plus honey malt it is then!

Honey Malt was a steeping grain in my very first kit, which is still one of my favorites. My preference has always been for malt-forward beers, but my local brew-club has definitely given me an appreciation for what hops are capable of so I wanted to give it a shot, just wasn't sure where to shoot! Thanks for the help :mug:

Bitter with the magnum... mix the cascade and amarillo and hop burst the last 15 mins of boil. Save some if you wanna dry hop. And you can still make something malt forward with big hop presence....thats how Barleywines are.

Bitter with the magnum... mix the cascade and amarillo and hop burst the last 15 mins of boil. Save some if you wanna dry hop. And you can still make something malt forward with big hop presence....thats how Barleywines are.

The only Barleywine I've had so far is Stone's Vertical Epic 11.11.11. I appreciated the craftsmanship and I'm glad I ordered it, but I probably wouldn't buy it again. When they kicked the keg of Stone's RIS 2007... that was a sad, sad day.

DFH Olde School Barleywine is pretty good. Hogs Heaven from Avery is also really good, got to try a 5 year old bottle during a beer dinner about a month ago. It was pretty phenomenal.

Back