Help with Hop Bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixmasterob

Reaction score
This is basically EdWort's Haus Pale with the hops altered to make it a hop bomb. At least this is my plan...

6.5 Extra Pale LME
1.5 Munich LME

8oz Crystal 10

2oz Summit (14%) @ 20
1oz Cascade (5%) @ 15
1oz Cascade (5%) @ 10
1oz Cascade (5%) @ 5
1oz Summit (14%) @ 0
1oz Amarillo (8.2%) @ 0

2oz Amarillo (8.2%) Dry
1oz Summit (14%) Dry

Even with no "bittering" addition it still comes out to about 55 IBUs. What do you guys think? I may brew this tonight...
By the way I have 5oz Cascade, 4oz Summit and 3 oz Amarillo to work with here.

Food for thought, I know you have no bittering addition, but you could First Wort Hop some of your flavor additions. I think FWH will give your hop bomb some hop complexity.

Looks fine. 55 IBUs is on the high side for the ABV, but not excessive. You might consider swapping the 10 minutes Cascade and an ounce of the Amarillo dry hop to increase the complexity.

Looks fine. 55 IBUs is on the high side for the ABV, but not excessive. You might consider swapping the 10 minutes Cascade and an ounce of the Amarillo dry hop to increase the complexity.
So like this?

2oz Summit (14%) @ 20
1oz Cascade (5%) @ 15
1oz Amarillo (8.2%) @ 10
1oz Cascade (5%) @ 5
1oz Amarillo (8.2%) @ 0
1oz Summit (14%) @ 0

1oz Cascade (5%) Dry
1oz Amarillo (8.2%) Dry
1oz Summit (14%) Dry

EDIT: I like the idea, although it ups the IBUs a bit more. I was thinking about dropping the 20 min Summit addition down to 1.5oz. This would make the final IBUs around 48....

I'd put it in just before starting the hop additions. You aren't going to need a 60 minute boil.

When should I add my extract? I am doing a 3.5 gallon boil. Thanks!

You should consider doing a late extract addition (search for info). Realize that your hop utilization will be different if you boil all of the extract at once versus going with the late extract method....compensate as necessary.

edit: i just realized you're not doing any 60 min hops. late extract might actually be a pain in the ass in this case. your boil will be killed and since you're gaining all of your IBUs in the steep part of the hop utilization curve, you probably want to maintain pretty good control of your boil time, etc. when i was using LME and doing a late extract addition, I found it to kill my boil for several minutes.

This is what I ended up doing...

1.75oz Summit (14%) @ 20
1oz Cascade (5%) @ 15
1oz Amarillo (8.2%) @ 10
1oz Cascade (5%) @ 5
1oz Amarillo (8.2%) @ 0
1oz Summit (14%) @ 0

Added half the extract at the beginning of the boil. Brought back to a boil then did all my hop additions. I added the rest of the extract at flameout. Seemed to work out, we shall see.

This is what I ended up doing...
Added half the extract at the beginning of the boil. Brought back to a boil then did all my hop additions. I added the rest of the extract at flameout. Seemed to work out, we shall see.

I think this was the best solution for using extract. When I was extract brewing, I used to add about 1/3 of my DME in the beginning of the boil to increas hop utilization, then I added the rest at 10 minutes and made sure to return to a boil before continuing my timer.

Either way, I think you will be pleased with your final result.:mug:

Back