help with high gravity porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVBrewing

Reaction score
I have a recipe im planning on brewing for a vanilla porter that has been around for a long time and seems to get rave reviews from what iv seen. The only thing i would like to change is to lower the gravity a bit. I dont have the numbers in front of me but i remember the abv is projected to be like 8.7% when i plugged it into beer smith.

Im looking for opinions on the best way to go about it. My thoughts are to either take a percentage of of each grain in the bill across the board or to simply take from the two row base grain. Any thoughts?

Yes to lower the Intended OG you would want to cut the base grain to your desired gravity.

You would wanted to turn everything into a percentage then scale down.

Beer smith should give you the proportions of your scaled down version and your golden.

Cheers

I appreciate the input. I want to the profile of the beer that the creator intended, just lower the gravity so it comes in somewhere around an 8%. That way i can enjoy a couple of pints without wanting to take a nap afterwards. Ha ha.

Back