help with fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBSCZONER

Reaction score
I brewed an all grain brown ale the other day, pitched at proper temp and everything, im at about 65 hours since i pitched and still no bubbling or krausen. there is a very thin line at the top of the wort level that looks like yeast crud but i cant tell if its fermenting or if i should be worried.? is it stuck? dead yeast? should i re pitch? any input is appreciated. thank you

:mug:

Take a gravity reading. Compare it to your original gravity reading. Report back.

No way to tell just by looking - you need to take a hydrometer sample and see if the gravity level is dropping.

That said: it isn't altogether uncommon for active fermentation to lag 72 hours, give or take a few. Also, some active fermentations happen so quickly that you don't ever see any sign of the activity - it's literally done before you get a chance to witness it.

I'd say give it until the 72 hours is up and then, if you're still concerned, test a sample to see where your gravity is at...

so my original gravity was about 1.045 and i just took a reading at 1.022 60F

Sounds like your original question has been answered. Let it go for a couple more weeks and it should be good to go. Happy Brewing!!

I would say you've had SIGNIFICANT fermentation.

You just proved that an airlock is not a magic fermentation gauge, just a vent to release excess co2. And airlocks bubble or sometimes they don't.........

And it doesn't matter either way what they do, JUST numbers on your hydromter matter, which you just showed that you had fermentation.

see that clears up alot of confusion in my head. i thought for sure that there would have to be some form of krausen during fermentation. Thanks for the help! Happy Brewing

Krausens can be just as unpredictable as airlock bubbling. My wits with bottle harvest hoegaarden yeast averages about 3 weeks with krausens, even though the hydro readings show terminal gravity has been reached. Some krausen's have been known to dissapear after 24 hours or so. I don't believe there's ever anything "normal" in brewing where the yeast is concerned.

awesome. thnks for the input. this is my firt all grain brew too

Back