Help with extra Hop Additions for American IPA!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigEasy43

Reaction score
So below you will see the All Grain Kit I received and I have brewed this kit before with success, but I am looking for a bit more bite with it. I haven't tried my own recipes yet as I am not comfortable with grains at all. I love the New England IPAs and would like to try one of them sometime down the road on my own. But anyway I have about 3oz of Amarillo and 8oz of Citra hops laying around and looking for any ideas about adding these to the recipe below. I would like to dry hop again, so any help is appreciate on how much and when to add to boil.

9 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
13.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
10.2 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
3.4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM)

0.85 oz Hallertau Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.75 oz Centennial [10.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.75 oz Cascade [5.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min

Thanks

#1 - that's a LOT of crystal malt. Not sure what kit you bought but it seems like they've probably been rolling with the same kit for years, because people aren't using nearly that much anymore. I would reduce that.

That hop schedule is interesting too, mostly because there's no dry hop. Everyone will give you different answers, but personally I'd probably throw in an extra 2 oz in at 0 minutes and 3+ oz of dry hop. Amarillo and Citra are both awesome hops, and I don't think you could go wrong adding either of them at either stage, in any proportion.

Back