Help with experimental IPA recipe (2row/wheat)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luizffgarcia

Reaction score
Guys, what do you think of this IPA recipe?

My goal is to have a very drinkable and aromatic IPA, it will be my first attempt of using Wheat, also first time with late addition hops for bittering.

Its a 90 minute boil, but the first hop addition is only at the final 15 min :tank:

20p2byc.png

Thanks for the help!

As silly as it sounds, that's actually a very normal recipe. I've brewed it, so have many others. the 50% to 40% 2 row and wheat is normal, I would drop the caramel wheat malt, and only use acid malt if you need it for your water profile.

as far as the hop additions go, you should still do a 60 minute bittering hop. use warrior, magnum, or even a hop shot.

the amarillo and simcoe hop combo is quite common, move that 15 minute addition to 5 minutes to get more of the hop flavor.

As silly as it sounds, that's actually a very normal recipe. I've brewed it, so have many others. the 50% to 40% 2 row and wheat is normal, I would drop the caramel wheat malt, and only use acid malt if you need it for your water profile.

as far as the hop additions go, you should still do a 60 minute bittering hop. use warrior, magnum, or even a hop shot.

the amarillo and simcoe hop combo is quite common, move that 15 minute addition to 5 minutes to get more of the hop flavor.

Thanks, i do need acidulated malt for my ph, using 100% distilled water and brun water, target mash ph is 5.3.

Just curious, why do you think i still need the 60 min addition? If beersmith says i will still get 65 ibu out of this hops?

with amarillo, simcoe, galaxy, citrus, later the better. once you move that 15 minute addition up to 5, your IBU's will be pretty much cut in 1/2. (my calculator has it from 55.47 dropping it to 22.72)

bump up at the beginning to where you want the IBU.

Back