Help with Dunkelweizen recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

italynstallyn44

Reaction score
Dunkelweizen recipe Originally Posted by Edcculus
6lbs wheat malt
4lbs munich
.25 lbs chocolate
1 oz hallertauer @60
.25 oz hallertauer @15
Wyeast 3068 or White Labs equivalent (a must, no matter what the ingredients are)

I think I'm going to make something similar to this for my next batch. I wanted to add some maltodextrin to the recipe. How much would you recommend? I also may bump up the chocolate malt a bit. If I want to add the malto and bump up chocolate, should I subtract some of the base malts?

I made the Brewers Best Dunkelweizen a while back and actually loved it. Their recipe Looks like this:
FERMENTABLES
6.6 lb. Wheat LME
1 lb. Maltodextrin
SPECIALTY GRAINS
8 oz. Chocolate
8 oz. Munich
HOPS
5 oz. Bittering.
25 oz. Flavoring

Seems like a lot of maltodextrin and not much munich malt.

Dextrin won't affect your gravity much, plus it's a non-fermentable. You could add a 1/2 to 1 lb of flaked oats or corn to your recipe. That will give you good head retention and a slick mouth feel. It will also bump up your gravity a bit.

Malto Dextrin is usually used in extract recipes because you can dissolve it during the boil and skip the mash. I think you'll get more out of the oats or corn, but if you're set on using dextrin I'd go with 1/2 cup per liter.

Feel free to add more choc malt, but I would hold your base malts where they are to keep enough enzyme activity in your mash. Roasted malts are generally low in enzymes and need a certain percentage of base malts mixed in with it to convert its starches.

Hope this helped you.

Back