Help with Copper manifold in coleman cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frettfreak

Reaction score
So i am building a copper manifold as close to palmers specs as i can make it. I started using a saw, but that got old after about 3 slits cut so i went and bought a dremel!...

However, i now have a lot of debree in the inner tube and i dont know how to get it out. I suppose a stick with some sand paper maybe (yay, ANOTHER trip to home depot)?? But looking for better options.

Also, wondering is sandpaper the thing to use to remove the burs from the outside as well?

Any help is appreciated.

20140818_165520.jpg

Go to Home Depot and get one I those copper pipe brushes, has a steel handle. Lock that into a vice and rub the copper up and down, in a "jacking it" motion and that will get all the burrs out of the pipe. Then run a lot of water through your mash tun

I'd say , The sandpaper on a stick would be your best bet. Get a length of 3/8" wood dowel and some "STICK On" sand paper, cut some strips of the sand paper and wrap it on the wood dowel, Then commence "JACKING IT" as rhythmsteve stated LOL. Those crumbs on the inside should come off fairly easy!

Another word of advise, do not solder the pieces together, force will keep the pieces together. It's way easier to clean and maintain if you can disassemble it

Go to Home Depot and get one I those copper pipe brushes, has a steel handle. Lock that into a vice and rub the copper up and down, in a "jacking it" motion and that will get all the burrs out of the pipe. Then run a lot of water through your mash tun

I saw that when i was at home depot, but its a little small for what i need. Each piece is 22.5" long.

I ended up just taping some sand paper to a dowel and using that, thenhad to also use it on each individual slit that i cut. What a PITA! But its done now i think. was pretty tired when i stopped last night so gotta check it again for debris.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

I know this is too little too late, but an auger would have work too. get a 24" drill bit extender, one pass cleans it up pretty well.

I know this is too little too late, but an auger would have work too. get a 24" drill bit extender, one pass cleans it up pretty well.

Hmmm.. can i just get one of these at home depot or lowes?? I had no clue they have a 24" extender! That would be perfect! I am gonna be making 2 more of these for some friends so i may just go get that anyway!

Thanks!~ :ban:

Well, went to lowes to get an auger bit and extension, walked out with a 10" round file! the file could have been a litttle longer, but it worked pretty much flawlessly and it was only $10!

a 12" or 14" would have been a littel easier, but i was able to get it all with the file.

Thank you for all your help guys! Really appreciate the feedback :rockin:

I wish I would have seen this post earlier. I'm a machinist, I deal with this stuff literally every day of my working life. The only two feasible options for deburring deep in pipe is either a) a file, or b) a stiff brush. Both are far from perfect but able to do the job. This is why, in the metalworking world, there are people who specialize in nothing but deburring metal. :)

Such a pain in the arse, but I'm glad you got it done.

if u love guns... a 12g shotgun cleaning kit has the perfect fit. mine came with a wire brush that I have never used. it fits nice ... and pulls the burs ..

lol, good luck getting that 6" down a 1/2" tube. look at the pictures. that wont work.

Yeah - and my response was aimed at helping him get the burs off from the inside edge of the ends of the pipe - there was two parts to his question mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back