Help With Control Panel Wire Diagram

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delirious187

Reaction score
Hello,
After searching numerous threads about panel builds I am humble to ask if there is someone out there who would be willing to put together a wiring diagram based on my intended configuration. Electricity is foreign to me but I have a good friend (licensed electrician) that is willing to build what I need provided I can supply him with a wiring diagram. I’ve spent hours on the electric brewing website but still cannot grasp the concept of what I need. I am looking for a relatively simple design. I only want to control the temperature in the HLT and recirculate through HERMS coil. My preference is to direct fire the boil kettle. Below I have put together some rough drawings on my intended setup. I am only looking to control (1) 5500W element. I have access to my dryer’s 30A receptacle on the adjoining wall. Please don’t shoot the messenger. Lol Any help is appreciated!

Panel Layout.PNG

Kettle Layout.PNG

Hate me if you want: But I think you need to make the drawing, not only will you learn, but what happens if you need to troubleshoot? Or add something. One of the reasons to not buy a pre built panel is to learn as you go. But if you need someone to draw a one line then to hand it to an electrician then why dont you just buy pre built panel. Also if the electrician is worth his salt, he shouldn't need a diagram to wire something this simple. Just my 2 cents....

??? Why a direct fired boil kettle???
You are complicating your electric brew setup. (But that is just me.)

Lots of diagrams for a total electric setup. None for what you are wanting.
Oh well...

Thanks, I'll take a look through the drawings. The only reason I am interested in building the panel myself is cost. I cant afford to buy a pre-assembled panel. Besides I cant really find what meets my desired needs as outlined above. The reason I dont want to go full electric is also cost. I have a decent burner and honestly I like the control better. I know this is an argured topic but its my preference. I like being able to flame out add candi sugar, hops etc give the bottom and good stir to ensure everything is disolved and resume the boil, whirlpool. Thats the joy of homebrewing I like how everyone invents their own individual system/configuration. Hell I even thought about hooking up a 120V element to my Johnson Controls A419. All I'm looking to do is maintain my mash/sparge temps with a little automation. But from what I gather on this site, thats not really the way to go with electric.

No need to continue this conversation. I'm sure I can figure this out on my own with more research and the help of my electrician friend. I guess I had hoped someone had already designed and built a panel very close to what I want and it would have been a simple response, private message or email away.

Back