Help with competition entry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBeer

Reaction score
I'm planning on entering a competition in the next couple days and am not sure about some of the required information. On the entry application it says:

"If you are entering any in the following style categories 6D, 16E, 17F, 20, 21A, 21B, 22B, 22C, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, or 28 you MUST fill out the BJCP-required information regarding effervescence, sweetness, classic style, special ingredients, etc . FAILURE TO DO SO COULD RESULT IN YOUR ENTRY NOT BEING JUDGED IN THE CORRECT CATEGORY!"

My beer is category 21A, so what exactly should I write concerning "effervescence, sweetness, classic style, special ingredients,etc."?

Hopefully someone can help me out! Thanks!

For 21A, the requirements are:
ENTRANT MUST SPECIFY THE UNDERLYING BEER STYLE AS WELL AS THE TYPE OF SPICES, HERBS, OR VEGETABLES USED. IF THIS BEER IS BASED ON A CLASSIC STYLE (E.G., BLONDE ALE) THEN THE SPECIFIC STYLE MUST BE SPECIFIED. CLASSIC STYLES DO NOT HAVE TO BE CITED (E.G., “PORTER” OR “WHEAT ALE” IS ACCEPTABLE). THE TYPE OF SPICES, HERBS, OR VEGETABLES MUST ALWAYS BE SPECIFIED. If the base beer is a classic style, the original style should come through in aroma and flavor. The individual character of SHV(s) may not always be identifiable when used in combination. This category may also be used for chile pepper, coffee-, chocolate-, or nut-based beers (including combinations of these items). Note that many spice-based Belgian specialties may be entered in Category 16E. Beers that only have additional fermentables (honey, maple syrup, molasses, sugars, treacle, etc.) should be entered in the Specialty Beer category.

Does that help?

Yes, for the classic style and special ingredients portion, but what about effervescence and sweetness?

thx

Here's what I'm looking at:

14th Annual Palmetto State Brewers' Open-br-   On-line Registration.jpg

So would this be sufficient:

"Russian Imperial Stout with organic espresso, cocoa, blackstrap molasses, and light brown suagr added."

?

Thanks for helping a noob out!

Making a big assumption, yes that is perfect.

The assumption is that all of those specialty ingredients can be tasted in the final product. If you list them, the judges will be looking for them.

So you need to sit down with the beer, taste it, and ask yourself if each ingredient can be recognized. My guess is that the brown sugar and molasses don't stand out much. If you can't pick it out, don't list it.

Make sense?

Making a big assumption, yes that is perfect.

The assumption is that all of those specialty ingredients can be tasted in the final product. If you list them, the judges will be looking for them.

So you need to sit down with the beer, taste it, and ask yourself if each ingredient can be recognized. My guess is that the brown sugar and molasses don't stand out much. If you can't pick it out, don't list it.

Make sense?

Thanks! This is really helpful. The blackstrap and brown sugar are very subtle overall, more supportive than out front. I'll leave them off and just include the espresso and cocoa. Thanks a bunch~! Wish me luck :mug:

So would this be sufficient:

"Russian Imperial Stout with organic espresso, cocoa, blackstrap molasses, and light brown suagr added."

?

Thanks for helping a noob out!

That would be prefect.

I judged this category last weekend and that is better than 75% of the descriptions I saw.

Back