Help with color of amber ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintAddict

Reaction score
I have made a batch of brewers best american ale. It is now in bottles but is very red and very cloudy. So cloudy that you cant even see thru the beer in the hydrometer tube. It taste great but was wondering why it does this. I am trying to make something similar to Sam adams boston ale. It tastes pretty close in flavor but the color is just very differnt. I did use a secondary. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Has your beer been in the fridge or are you grabbing a room temp bottle? If the bottle is room temp are you jostling the bottle before you look at it?

If the beer is cold it could be chill haze. If the beer is warm it could be resuspended yeast. If you got too much particulate in the fermenter, secondary, or in the bottling bucket you could just be looking at grains, hop particulate, or excess yeast.

If you pick up a warm bottle that has sat still for a few days and hold it gently up to the light and it's clear, look at the sediment layer on the bottom as it could be the culprit.

Otherwise if the beer has been sitting still and is warm I'm not totally sure.

no its the same color and cloudiness all the time. It was just bottled and I used all brown bottles but also used 2 clear bottles, just to see what was going on with the beer. Its not even close to clear.

For the best results you need at least 3 weeks for the beer to carbonate at 70 degrees. Once they reach the proper or acceptable carbonation level if you put them in the refrigerator for a few days the cold will help drop all the particulates and the sediment will compress some on the bottom of the bottle. After that you will just need to learn to pour them so the sediment doesn't slosh around and cloud uo things although it should not affect flavor all that much.

The beer won't clear in the bottle for at least 2 weeks. It will also still have the "green" flavor anytime before 3 weeks. Also, if you plan on drinking a bottle, at this age, put it in the fride a couple days prior to drinking. This will drop the yeast out and let the beer absorb some of the CO2. Colder liquids absorb CO2 better than room temp beers.

Back