Help with brewing method (extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ax89

Reaction score
Still trying to get my head around a few things. Say i want to make 25ltr of beer (extract method) and i have a 15ltr stockpot. Can i boil 15ltr (or there about) of malt/grain and then add this to my fermenter and top up with another 10 litres of water or will this dilute the solution too much. I guess i should have a mashing tun but i would be buying one. Can i take this shortcut.

So from what i make out, (and this is rough) you buy your specialty grain and also a tin of malt extract(these two products are different right)?? you then lightly boil te grain and add the extract then finally add the hops. All under timed conditions. You then cool the wort to your desired pitching temp, add the yeast and and sit and wait, and that is pretty much it.

So from the video i just watched the guy had specialty grain and a tin of extract, how are these different? Does the malt extract add the sugar and the grain the flavour?
Which grain (uk) should i use to make a lager(steam) like beer and which malt extract and also which yeast. I have looked at various recipes but so many of them.

Still trying to get my head around a few things. Say i want to make 25ltr of beer (extract method) and i have a 15ltr stockpot. Can i boil 15ltr (or there about) of malt/grain and then add this to my fermenter and top up with another 10 litres of water or will this dilute the solution too much. I guess i should have a mashing tun but i would be buying one. Can i take this shortcut.

All you need to do is make the smaller amount stronger and then when you dilute it with water, it will be normal strength. Most extract brewers do this and it works out fine.

So from what i make out, (and this is rough) you buy your specialty grain and also a tin of malt extract(these two products are different right)?? you then lightly boil te grain and add the extract then finally add the hops. All under timed conditions. You then cool the wort to your desired pitching temp, add the yeast and and sit and wait, and that is pretty much it.

Yes, get your ingredients together for the recipe you want to make, and then basically follow those steps. You do not want to boil the grain. Let it steep in water that is about 160 degrees and you'll get everything you need out of it. Make sure it is crushed (milled) so you can get the stuff you need out of it.

And yes, then you cool and you pitch the yeast. Try to keep the fermentation temperature in the correct range. This will make GIANT differences in how your beer turns out.

So from the video i just watched the guy had specialty grain and a tin of extract, how are these different? Does the malt extract add the sugar and the grain the flavour?
Which grain (uk) should i use to make a lager(steam) like beer and which malt extract and also which yeast. I have looked at various recipes but so many of them.

Yes, the extract will be most of your fermentable sugar, but will also add flavor. The specialty grain is to add flavors not available in the extract.

And there are a ton of recipes out there. Just look for an Anchor Steam clone and you should be fine. I'm sure there are plenty on this forum.

Lots of questions which means even more answers.

Spend some time at this link and you will have a better understanding of the process and then you could 'fine tune' your questions and be able to absorb the answers.

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

Yes, get your ingredients together for the recipe you want to make, and then basically follow those steps. You do not want to boil the grain. Let it steep in water that is about 160 degrees and you'll get everything you need out of it. Make sure it is crushed (milled) so you can get the stuff you need out of it.

160 F not 160 C. just to clear that up.

You really need to do yourself a favor and do a little reading to get up to speed with what brewing beer is all about. There are lots of simple "how to's" available, the one I recommend is John Palmer's "How to Brew". Read the online version, which is good but a little out of date, or buy the book which has been updated and is currently at version 3.

That will give you the basic background and answer most of your questions.

Yes. This is called a partial boil. You are boiling about 2/3 the total volume of water, doing your steeping and additions, cooling, then adding to your fermenter. Just make sure the extra water you are adding is sterilized (boiled). So, boil 1/3 of the water, cool and put in your fermenter. Then, boil the rest of the water, and do your additions to that. Then throw it into the fermenter with the rest of the water to yield the full volume.
Yes. Just one thing, though. You don't want to boil your specialty grains. You want to steep them inside a cheesecloth (or the like) bag, like a giant tea bag. You want to do this BELOW 170 degrees F. Above that temperature and you will be extracting bad flavors from the husk of the grain. All-Grain brewing temperatures are around 154F... I would aim for between that and 170.
basically, yes.

The difference between an Ale and a Lager is (mostly) the yeast, and resultantly the fermentation parameters (colder, longer)

Ok i understand that lager ferments in about 3 stages and at lower temps than ales the second stage being at around 2-8deg C and the whole process including racking time can be up to about 3 months. So i don't have and will not be getting a chest freezer with a temp controller.

In your expert opnions what is the closest steam(i assume is the best i can do) beer/lager that will be close to becks, belgium premium lager/beer, stella artois, nippy/hoppy, light, refesshing carbonated premium type beer/lager. I am just not going to get close unless i have the freezer right?

I really don't want to end up with an ale.

Lots of questions which means even more answers.

Spend some time at this link and you will have a better understanding of the process and then you could 'fine tune' your questions and be able to absorb the answers.

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

+1 for this read. I read it and saw a lot of answers to teh questions I did ask, as well as questions I hadnt even though of yet

Ok guys i am going to go with a Koelsch clone as described here

I think this is doable. i have a few questions though and would appreciate any advice.

1) I'm not sure if i should go with WLP810 or WLP029 they both seem pretty similar in that they ferment closer to ale temps, any thought?
2) I cant find muntons liquid extra light extract as used in org. recipe i can only find muntons sparymalt extra light, do you think this will be ok?
3) As for a secondary fermentation, well he says the primary fermentation was about 16 days @ 65F but doesn't say the temps for the secondary or for how long, any tips here?

**EDIT** I just had a thought, if after the primary ferm say 2 weeks, if i then bottled it and stuck the bottles in the fridge and set the fridge temp to 2-8deg does this count, how do yu think this would turn out?

TIA

1) Look at the two profiles to see what kinda flavors they have, and which you would prefer
2) You should be able to find muntons extra light LME on most larger brew websites (midwest supplies or northern brewer)
3) a safe regiment is 1-2-3 --- 1 week in primary, 2 in secondary, 3 in bottles (room temp). you can leave it 3 weeks in primary and 3 in bottle conditioning if you want

if you set the temp to 28 degrees thatd be entirely too cold for the primary

Back