Help with Black IPA hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eon

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am brewing a black IPA and I'm working with hops that I haven't used before so I'm looking for some help. Where do you think I should put the individual hop additions? The recipe is below with the hops listed. Thanks!

6 lbs. Pale 2-row
9.6 ounces crystal 40
4.8 ounces Midnight Wheat
2.5 ounces Chocolate malt

On hand I have the following, but please tell me if you think I need more! I am also going to dry hop, but I'll get to that on brew day.

Note: I am brewing a three gallon batch. At least I think I am. I have a 5 gallon mash tun and about a 4 gallon brew pot. I always fill the brew kettle almost to the top which is almost 4 gallons. Not sure how much I lose in the boil or anything like that. I've never really known how to figure that stuff out. For the purposes of this recipe though, I'll be brewing as if I am making a 3 gallon batch. Whatever gets in the brew pot and whatever is there after boiling is what I have to play with!

Here are the hops that I have:

1 oz. of Magnum
1 oz. of Mosaic
1 oz. of El Dorado
1 oz. Equinox

So obviously, the Magnum are going to go in @ 60 minutes, but how should I split up the rest? And do I have enough hops to make a hoppy black ipa?

I'm thinking:

1 oz. Magnum @ 60minutes (maybe less? I haven't had the chance to do the calculations)

.5 oz. Equinox @ 30 minutes
.5 oz. Equinox @ 15 minutes
1 oz. El dorado @ 15 minutes
.5 mosaic @ 5 minutes
.5 mosaic @ flameout

Any thoughts?

For 3 gallons to the fermenter the grain bill puts you in the low 60 point OG range.
So, maybe one of those trendy "session IPAs" (which I could have sworn was just a pale ale...but I digress).

Meanwhile, a full ounce of Magnum for 60 minutes all by itself will put the IBUs around 70-something.

I love Mosaic, never used Equinox nor El Dorado, but I'm pretty confident that all up you have more than enough hops to over-power the malt...

Cheers!

Try .5 oz Magnum for 60 minutes (or FWH if you're into that) then:

.5 oz Magnum & .5 oz Equinox at 20 minutes
.5 oz El Dorado & .5 oz Mosaic at 5 minutes
Then, the remaining Equinox, El Dorado, and Mosaic in a hop-stand (180 for 20-30 minutes?)

IDK if this is actually right or not, but it's what I would do with the situation as faced.

Last edited:
Id definitely do the magnum at 60. Choose which 2 hops you think smell best and toss those in for a hopstand and maybe do the other 1oz at 15min

But I think you need more hops for a black IPA. My last one used 15oz in total with about 10oz going in for the hopstand. Great piney flavor that goes well with teh slight roast from the malts. I've found picking the right type of hops for a black IPA can be tricky. You want to steer clear of floral stuff

I'm partial to only doing a 60-minute/FWH addition, and the rest of the hops at 5 minutes or less. Makes it easy to control the IBUs since anything below 5 minutes provides very very little IBUs, and your first addition at 60 minutes providers all of the sharp bitterness you want in an IPA. I think this maximizes the aroma/flavor contributions of the hops, you can in a way, use less hops for more impact (though, more is better), and it seems to contribute a little bit of a oily silkiness to the beer.

Recently did a black IPA with 21oz of whole leaf wet cascades at 3 minutes, 3oz of Wakatu at 3 minutes, and 2oz Wakatu and 2 oz of cascade for 15 minute whirlpool. Partially as a for fun experiment and I wanted a black IPA to enter into comps. Big smooth beer with massive citrus character, opened one last night and thought for sure I was smelling fruit-loops(dry hopped with 2oz of citra for 5 days). No bittering addition for this bad boy, it's definitely missing that slight sharp bitterness you normally get in most IPAs, but any roasty/chocolate tones from the malt bill sort of prop the beer up without having to build a huge stiff bitterness.

Back