Help with Black Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiNuke

Reaction score
I have been designing my first black ale/lager and have a few questions. Here's the recipe:
5.5 Gallon Batch
OG: 1.061
FG: 1.019
IBU: 21
Color: 37
ABV: 5.6

7 lbs Munich (9L)
3 lbs Pilsener (2L)
1.5 lbs CaraPils (2L)
8 oz Carafa Special III (525L)
8 oz Chocolate Malt [Thomas Faucet] (508L)

1 oz Challenger (21 IBU)

California Lager Yeast (washed)

Thinking about mashing at 152F
1) I am worried about the California Lager yeast not getting to a decent FG. I'd like the FG to be around 1.015, which is what I would get if I used Bavarian Lager yeast (using hopville calc). I was thinking of mashing lowish to hit a lower FG, but I have been having trouble with thermometers, mash temps and over attenuation, so I have no idea what I should try (the steam beer I washed the yeast from started at 1.056 and finished at 1.010, and was mashed at 152 according to my thermometer, which I think was wrong). I want to use the California Lager yeast because I have that on hand and I want to try using washed yeast for the first time, plus I wanted to brew this at ale temps.

2) Also, should I bother with the CaraPils? What would I lose if I replaced the CaraPils with 8 oz CaraMunich and 1 lb Munich Malt and mashed at 154?

Thanks in advance.

Hey SkiNuke,

1) I think the yeast will get you to your goal of 1.015, mash at 150 - 152 and ferment on the warmer side, preferably starting at 60 and finishing at 65. That represents 75% attentuation.

2) I never use carapils anymore. Since it only offers unfermentable dextrins, it will only hinder your goals of hitting a <1.015 FG. Removing the carapils and replacing it with the malts you mentioned, is a great idea, you'll have a more malty beer. At least if that is what you are going for in flavor.

Let us know how it comes out.

mash low and you should get your FG lower than that

I brewed a blonde ale recently with OG around 1.052 that hit 1.008 with washed 2112 using a large starter (yeast was washed in Oct)

drop the carapils or reduce it down to 6-8oz if want to keep it in there but shouldn't be too necessary

IME washed yeast seem to get better attenuation than the 1st gen as well

I guess what it comes down to is, I want a nice full mouthfeel, but I don't want it to be overly sweet. Maybe, instead of carapils, 1 lb of flaked barley, 4 oz of caramunich II, and mash at 152?

I think I am going to go with the grain bill bellow. Also I was thinking of mashing at 154 for 60 minutes; will that be too high, or do I need to do anything special with the flaked barley?

10 lbs Munich (9L)
1 lb Flaked Barley
8 oz CaraMunich III
8 oz Carafa Special III
8 oz Chocolate Malt (500-600L)

Back