Help with Beverage Air DD22

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topher79

Reaction score
I recently bought this unit off of CL, and I am currently restoring/refurbishing and converting to 3 taps. I thought I would ask the community if anybody knew anything about this model, because I have researched the web and come up with nothing.

The model DD22 gets me nowhere on a interwebs search, and the serial number is only (6) digits, which rules out searching through Bev-Air; also the compressor YOM info does not match up with the serial number guide for Tecumseh compressors. If anyone could help me determine the YOM on this puppy, I would greatly appreciate it!

I also need to purchase a door gasket and would like to replace the inner liner. I believe the guy I got it from did a sloppy DIY gasket job, and replaced the OEM gasket with some foam surround he found at the home improvement store. The inner liner is damaged and needs to be replaced, but I can live with how it is if I can't find a replacement. I am attaching some photos for the data plate for the kegerator and compressor for your viewing pleasure and to see if anyone can help me out.

I'm documenting the refurbishing process, and I'll make a thread on it when I am done. :mug:

IMG_3662.jpg

IMG_3728.jpg

IMG_3710.jpg

Can't help you on the Y O M, but show the damaged liner, and we might scare up some ideas.

Here's a pic of the liner; it's supposed to have a lip that goes to the edge of the door on all sides, but it's about 95% broken off. I was thinking of replacing it with some galvanized steel (to match the inside), and getting a local metal shop to fab it if the price isn't too high.

image.jpg

I have a Tecumseh compressor PDF on my computer at work. I'll look tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Sent from somewhere using Home Brew

I have a Tecumseh compressor PDF on my computer at work. I'll look tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Sent from somewhere using Home Brew

Thanks! The PDF's I have looked at don't seem to have information that coincides with my tag. I have attached a photo of what is on the data plate.
From what i can tell, the G*A13 should be the YOM line...

IMG_3738.jpg

I have a Beverage Air BM23C-S S/S. It is a little different design than yours but I would imagine a lot of the parts would be the same. I got mine off an auction site and the compressor wouldn't run. I lucked out in that it was just a starter relay. A while later the thermostat died and I replaced it with a Johnson Controls T-stat. The regular BM23 looks a lot like what you have. The one I have is the C version which isn't as common. It is the club top model which has a sliding top door where you can store glasses or other things. It is nice because it gives me access to the top of the kegs. It also has a main door like yours would. I would think that yours, the BM23 and BM23C all would use the same seal on the front door which is one I think you wanted to replace.

If you want me to take any measurements or pics of dataplates and such I can do that to compare to what you have. I would imagine that for the parts that you are looking for, the more common BM23 parts would be interchangeable with what you are looking for. I know that when I thought I initially thought my compressor was shot, I was looking for replacements and there were some out there. Try a starter relay though as they were cheap. I have some buddies that own a beer distributor and they put me in touch with a friend of theirs that does commercial refrigeration repair. He came out to my house on as a side job to look at it. He charged me $40 to look at it and swap the relay. I want to say they run about $20. There is some measurements you can take across the contacts to get an idea if the motor is burned up. I don't recall what they were but he did that and said it should be good. He was right. As for the T-stat, I replaced that on my own. That is another point of failure on some of the units.

bnZLBjs.jpg

Here is my data plate and compressor.

YiFhK2r.jpg

2BhjtCV.jpg

I would imagine that compressors for this application are sized for size of unit. Since our keggerators are basically the same size, the compressor should be the same.

In my initial discussions with the repair guy I was looking at replacement of the compressor. He initially said it wasn't worth replacing. Though when he first saw the unit he said he would likely consider it based on what it was. I asked about recharging if it was a case of refrigerant leak. The problem is that mine is an old R12 unit. This is good in that they work really well. In fact it froze my beer solid when my T-stat died and stuck in the run compressor mode. He said the problem with changing (might be slightly off here) but there is oil to lube the compressor in the refrigerant. That the old oils are not compatible to the new. So to fix right you have to find a R12 compressor and R12 refrigerant. I have a big tank of R12 (Shhh) so that was easy. If it was low on refrigerant, where did it go. It should be a closed system so finding a repairing a leak is the only thing to do. Might be too expensive. The conversion process to more readily available options, while possible, it isn't cheap because the oils are not 100% compatible and it may not last.

So, in the end. I got lucky. It was just the relay. Cheap fix. It is a "good one" the old school R12 unit that you can't get anymore.

Thanks for the reply, sennister. The unit operates like a boss, with no abnormal noises, and cools to 36 in no time (with thermostat on 4, I think)! The only reason I need the compressor info is to try and determine the YOM of this unit. I thought the same thing as you with parts being interchangeable, as this unit eventually got re-branded as the BM23, however, the door gasket is not the same. The gasket measurements are not the same as the one I have. I think the original gasket seemed to have a groove where the "lip" of the plastic door liner went into, and then you screw through the factory made slots in the liner and through the gasket to mount everything to the door.

The gasket for the BM23 seems to be of a different style in how it attaches to the door. I contacted coolergaskets.com and they are sending me a sample ring of their available gaskets to see if I can match something up. I would just like to find out anything I can about this model, because there is no information on the web; which leads me to believe it might be pretty old and/or limited in production.

According to the 1966 tecumseh service book, the compressor was manufactured Jan 13th 1969. Odd thing is, it also shows that format tag was only used from 58-64.

As far as door gaskets I would try a place called Refrigeration Hardware Supply. 1-800-423-2446

Damn! She's an old gal! Thank you so much for looking into that for me; that is odd that that the format of tag does not match the year. I guess it just goes to show that they made things to last back then.

I called RFS, and they are gonna get me a quote on getting a custom made compression gasket. Once again, I appreciate the help!

Sennister....thanks for the pics (f some reason they are just now showing); and I like the styling of your Bev-Air....it's definitely unique!

Sennister....thanks for the pics (f some reason they are just now showing); and I like the styling of your Bev-Air....it's definitely unique!

Hmm, not sure why they didn't pop up right away.

My Bev-air was a bit of a mystery as well. While it is a BM23 which is still made and a stainless steel club model which is still offered. They don't come with that tower. From what I can tell, it is an optional 3 tap tower. It is fully insulated inside and not a custom job. When I bought it, inside were these two stainless steel chambers that sat up on the shelf for the compressor that I couldn't figure out. The two outside taps were soda taps. Each was run to that stainless steel tank. So from what we could gather, it was a chiller for the soda. It might have been mixed in the small tanks but it held the soda there kind of like a jockey box I guess. There were lines that were hacked off that ran from outside to these stainless tanks. It also came with a 10# tank as well as a Sankey coupler and double body regulator. Got it for $175 in an auction.

As I mentioned I have a couple buddies that own a beer distribution center not far from me. Once I had it running they said to bring the keggerator by. I do computer work for them they rebuilt my keggerator. They pulled all the soda stuff and tossed it in a box for me. Replaced all the gas lines and liquid lines with new. Replaced the taps and shanks. Tossed in a new regulator. Gave me two new Sankey couplers. Along with one of each of every other type of keg coupler made for commercial stuff. I went back a couple days later to pick it up. They then took me out back to fill it out since an empty keggerator is just wrong. Picked up a keg of German beer and two sixth barrels of Summit (local beer). Then the tossed in the tap handles for the beer that I had in the kegs along with a bunch more. I asked for the bill and they said I was good. They had it all on a pallet and we loaded it into the back of my truck. Then off I went home.

I had about $200 into it all together. I later replaced the faucets they gave me with Perlick 525SS which I had leak issues with. Then Perlick replaced them with the new 630SS. That first pic was from about a week ago right after I installed the 630SS faucets and poured my first beer. I think I have about $320 in all in the Keggerator. It was a huge score and I lucked out on a lot of stuff like that the compressor was good. It also cleaned up really nice. Oh I had the T-stat die but I had a Johnson Control's T-Stat laying around I wasn't using. So I guess add another $60. Not like I bought it for this project but I did pay for it at some point. If I was going to buy one I probably would have picked up a Love or STC-1000.

While mine is the Club top and should have a shelf for glasses inside. That is the reason for the top sliding door. It was missing the shelf. Based on where the pegs are it wouldn't fit with the ball lock kegs anyhow. So no loss. The top handle was broken off. So my Father made a new one with a bit of Walnut he had laying around. Just reused the holes from the missing handle. It is really nice. I have had a 1/2 barrel and it is a lifesaver to be able to reach in from the top and pull it in. Also nice for the ball locks. I mentioned you can access the tops of the kegs. Super easy to connect/disconnect the lines. I mounted a gas distribution block with shutoffs on the side wall that I can reach by opening it. This helps so I can cut gas/bleed the keg when filling growlers and such. It sucks having a tiny drain but the benefit of the top door makes up for it. Couldn't beat the price for the project either.

Glad yours is running good. I was thinking you had an issue but it wasn't clear. I see that you are now just trying to figure out the age.

Hey, Sennister.........Just for future reference, that "LRA" on your compressor tag stands for "Locked rotor amps", which the other measurement / troubleshooting tip you were referring to.

And YOU, Topher79.........Looks like my LHBS is closing up at the end of the month, and moving your way........You guys probably use him anyway, he is a good guy, and a good store, (JustBrewIt!).

Now we gotta' find somebody else to deal with on this side of the
A T L........

Hey, Sennister.........Just for future reference, that "LRA" on your compressor tag stands for "Locked rotor amps", which the other measurement / troubleshooting tip you were referring to.

I was checking the resistance between the windings. Basically there are 3 readings you can take. Two of the readings are small numbers and then there is a third reading which is a larger number. By adding the two smaller numbers together you should get the larger number. If you don't it indicates a short.

This is from memory and quite a while ago. (2 years now maybe) So I don't remember what the readings I was getting were. I don't think they added up so that is why I was thinking the compressor may be shorted out. I am an IT guy not an HVAC guy but I do stuff with electronics and have taken electronics courses when getting my degree. So I know how to run a multimeter and have a high end Fluke True RMS Meter. Maybe the LRA thing might explain something about my compressor and why my readings were off. In the end it was a bad startup relay. So an inexpensive and easy fix. He replaced it with a larger one that had a built in capacitor (I think) because he said it was better for the compressor. When he came over I had the keggerator in the pole barn/shop with the heat going so it was nice and warm out there. I had put it up on my motorcycle lift so it was nice any easy to work on. He was impressed with not having to crawl around on the ground and it was a quick 10 min fix. We stood around chatting for another 10 minutes with it running and made sure it was chilling before he called it fixed and headed out. He asked for $40 I think I gave him $50. When I stopped by the beer distributor to talk to my buddies, I walk in and they said that they got word that I had a working keggerator. I was shocked because it was the next day. I said yeah. They then told me I wasn't supposed to pay for that... Oops. The guy said $40 I was just glad I wasn't dumping $400 on a compressor which is what I was thinking I was going to be doing.

Sennister, I have to admit...I'm jealous of that kegerator. I paid $300 for the unit, (2) corny kegs, and a keggle.

And YOU, Topher79.........Looks like my LHBS is closing up at the end of the month, and moving your way........You guys probably use him anyway, he is a good guy, and a good store, (JustBrewIt!).

Now we gotta' find somebody else to deal with on this side of the
A T L........

Sorry to hear you are losing your LHBS Stealthcruiser, and the last time I went to Just Brew It, Doug asked what I thought about him moving to Newnan...I told him I thought it would be great! He is a wealth of knowledge and a great guy to talk to. On the plus side for ME; I'm glad he's coming this way...the gas really adds up driving to him a couple times a month. Sure, he can ship the stuff, but want makes thi hobby cool is going to the LHBS, chatting with the owner, putting your recipe together, and crushing your grain. I have heard good things about "Barley and Vine" in McDonough, so that might be worth a shot.

Back to the kegerator....so this thing is 45 years old....that would explain why polishing the stainless and scrubbing the dirt/rust/crud off of surfaces, screws, nuts, and bolts has been a daunting venture. This weekend I'm grinding the rust that started forming bubbles under the wood grain vinyl, bondo-ing, sanding, and prepping the outside of the box for paint. Knowing this was a 1969 kegerator, do you guys have any thoughts on a paint color?

Right now the biggest challenge is getting a replacement liner for the inner door; I'm thinking the fab work on a galvinzed replacement might be pricey. Any thoughts? I want it to look good and last another 40 years.

You must have heard from sources different from the ones I heard, 'bout Barley and Vine..........Time will tell!

Do ya' have an HVAC sheet metal shop over that way?
Take the door with you, and ask the guys back in the shop........NOT in the office!
Let them know what it's for, and maybe offer up a little trade......

As a matter o' fact, Stealthcruiser, I do have a HVAC shop nearby that des some sheet metal work, and I like where you are going...I'll definitely give it a shot! If B&V ain't your thing, then why not HopCity?? They have a half decent homebrew area with grain, parts, and gear...I've never bought from them, but beggars can't be choosers now that Doug is closing. I know nothing will be the same as Doug's place...he had us spoiled with selection and knowledge! I'm headed there this weekend to get an a$$load of ingredients and some parts for this dang kegerator project; I'm hoping to have enough stuff to brew through May and have beer till August, then it'll be High Life till he opens back up!

HopCity is in the ATL over by Tech. They have a great craft beer selection, wine, and 20 tap growler bar, as well as having hombrew equipment and ingredients. They are off 1000 Marietta St NW. I even included a map for your viewing pleasure....

image.jpg

I know it now!.......My Son took me there 'bout 3 years ago when he was in Grad School at Tech...........Never thought about them for brewin' supplies......

I was unable to locate a gasket for this bad boy, so I gave the folks at cooler gaskets.com my door measurements mid morning, and they had my custom made compression gasket shipped that afternoon; you can't beat that! The bondo and primer are done and paint started this week. All that's left is to finish the base coat, clear, and cure the paint. Hopefully next weekend she'll serving beer!

hey everybody. i have this same unit, mine seems to be low on r12. i would love to recharge and fix leak if it has one. anyone know where i could get this done? im in PA.

Back