Help with Belgian Dark Strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaltG

Reaction score
Ok...So I'm about to do a Belgian Dark Strong Ale. Issue I'm having is I want to stay more traditional with the style which means a 4 step mash which I can't do with my equipment. Another suggestion I saw was 146 for 30 min, 158 for 30 then mashout. Now if I plug that into beersmith with the data I found to manually put Mangrove Jack M41 into beersmith it puts my FG at 1.002. I can't tell if that's accurate or not. If it's accurate that too dry for the style?

Yeah, that's way too dry for a quad. I like my quads to finish in the mid teens. What is the expected OG? What is the percentage of simple sugar in the recipe?

If you can't step mash it, then I'd just do a single rest and call it good.

Yeah, that's way too dry for a quad. I like my quads to finish in the mid teens. What is the expected OG? What is the percentage of simple sugar in the recipe?

If you can't step mash it, then I'd just do a single rest and call it good.

OG is about 1.100. 10% candi sugar. I could drop the candi and up the grain...or just do a single step at like 152.

Sugar % looks good, so I wouldn't decrease it. Do a single step at whatever mash temp that produces the desired FG. That yeast must be quite a beast!

I typically mash at 148*-149* for my Belgians. I have never used any Mangrove Jack yeasts but with most of them I get down to 1.008-1.012 depending on my OG and sugar percentage (10-15%)

Sugar % looks good, so I wouldn't decrease it. Do a single step at whatever mash temp that produces the desired FG. That yeast must be quite a beast!

It's the reason i went with it. The wyeast 1388 says it stalls at 1.035.

Update: almost 72 hours in. FG 1.099 current 1.036. Raising 1C/day to 26C and holding for 10 days.

It depends on what you mean by Belgian. If you really mean Trappist...

Back