Help with Beer Recipe from ingredients I have lying around

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyclef

Reaction score
Mr Beer Irish Stout Refill Pack
Gypsum
Irish Moss
Barley
Caramime? Caramide?
Cinnamon
Coriander

Ok folks, what can i do with this? I'm thinking at least the cinnamon and maybe the barley? not sure what you do with gypsum and irish moss.

Is that flaked barley?

Cinnamon might work for a stout (if you're in to that sort of thing), but probably not coriander.

Irish moss is used to clear beer (I don't think it works). Gypsum changes your water chemistry and might be used for all grain. I think caramide is pee.

um... i don't know. looks like whole pieces of barley... homebrew grade. ALSO, i've got all this older homebrew sugar and mr beer booster crap... how long is that stuff good for? I think I may try the cinnamon and barley unless someone things barley would be a bad move... and i guess not irish moss because who drinks clear stout?

No one cares about clarity in a stout, but the Irish Moss doesn't work anyway, so it evens out.

Barley could be anything if it is malted. Here's a pic of roasted barley, which would work in a stout.
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/roasted-barley-simpson-s.html

Flaked barley also works in stouts:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/flaked-barley.html

Maybe you'd use 4 ounces of each in half batches (which I think Mr Beer makes). But that kit might have some in there already.

Whatever it is, you'd probably want to mash it. Do you know the procedure? 150-155 degrees for 40+ minutes or so. Then I'd think you'd remove the grains and boil a bit for sanitation purposes.

ok it's flaked barley. right, mr beer is like 2-2.5 gallons. i think what I'm gonna do is just throw in a teaspoon of cinnamon and then throw a cup of barley in some bag thing i have and boil it for 30 min and then yank it. that sound good? cinnamon, barley, stout, alcohol whatever it's mr beer.

Try not to boil the grains, steep them around 160 degrees instead.

Boiling grains tends to cause extremely bitter astringency (think strong un-sweet iced tea).

word. thx 4 the advice. i should do this before adding the sugars n stuff i presume?

Yeah steep the grains in the water, remove the bag, bring to a boil, add your sugars like normal.

cup of grains, tsp of ground cinnamon sound like a good amount? this is just some practice recipe here using some mr. beer 2 gallon kit thing but still want to drink something after i'm done :)

Back