Help with basement brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmgreen7

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm a longtime extract brewer prepping to get into the 10 gallon EBIAB game. Since it's a nice snowy night in VA, i figure i'd try to get ahead on my brew room. As part of finishing my basement, i have annexed the storage room for brewing. I plan on utilizing brundog's condenser setup to keep me from having to vent.

Due to location, i know that i'm either going to want a glycol chiller or fermentation chamber. I'm in with my furnace and hot water heater, so i know it's going to be warm overall.

I had the electrician drop a 30A line into the room, the plumber a sink setup, and trench drain in the floor.

Most of what i have seen from the BIAB setups, i'd need a low-ish table big enough to manage the single kettle, sink (which i have indicated on my drawing based on the webstaraunt sink i plan on buying).

I'm hoping you all can help me out with the layout a bit just to get me pointed in the right direction.
I assume i need the table, sink, conical big enough to manage 10 gallon batches. Is there any other guidance you all have?

I appreciate it.

Attachments

• Brewery.PNG
    Brewery.PNG
    26.6 KB · Views: 130
Thankfully, the joists are open for me, so i can put the hoist anywhere.

I guess i'm looking for proper flow. Where should the kettle be located for ease of use and cleaning. i know that i have to make room for a controller as well.

It's not rocket surgery, but i'd imagine that people have learned from past mistakes (including making sure they have a hoist mounting location).

Please, there's really nothing conveyed by post counts. In my case it's just a fateful convergence of being old, having been around here for a few years, and a willingness to speak my mind whether it's appropriate or not...

Cheers! ;)

So pretty much regardless of the method, if you have the opportunity to run hot/cold water lines to shut-offs and a drain line all close to the brew rig things go easier than running hoses to faucet adapters and sink drains. A pot filler arm would also be a sweet addition. A close drain would provide the opportunity to employ a steam condenser which can dramatically reduce the need for hood-style ventilation (ventilation often being the toughest nut to crack in a basement location)...

Cheers!

So pretty much regardless of the method, if you have the opportunity to run hot/cold water lines to shut-offs and a drain line all close to the brew rig things go easier than running hoses to faucet adapters and sink drains. A pot filler arm would also be a sweet addition. A close drain would provide the opportunity to employ a steam condenser which can dramatically reduce the need for hood-style ventilation (ventilation often being the toughest nut to crack in a basement location)...

Cheers!

Definitely looking to do the steam condenser. i'm debating on whether to tie it to my sink like i have seen others do, or just empty to a bucket. i do have full access to my water heater. I chose an industrial sink and faucet, but not a pot filler. I had considered it. I plan on backing my walls with gladiator gearwall panels that i have left over. That should give me plenty of opportunity to have shelves and hangars. Plus side is that i can do whatever i want to the drywall behind it without issue.

Here’s my setup 2 brews in, I really love it. Using a steam slayer, and happy, but some complaints from the fam on odors. Brewed yesterday, so I’ve got a lot of Buckets out drying. I went with standard table height with my 16 gallon kettle. I’m 6’1”, and like that I can sweep the whole table clean with the sponge into the tub. Picture is taken from my fermnchamber, I have a long hose that allows direct transfer.

Attachments

• EA9F98B8-E458-4F6C-B35C-83F41BAF7CC4.jpeg
    EA9F98B8-E458-4F6C-B35C-83F41BAF7CC4.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 99
Back