Help with Bad Fermentation!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirilis

Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made two batches a few weeks ago and the fermentation has gone terrible. They both bubble steady but have been doing it for almost 4 weeks now... these are both Ale yeasts im using. (American Ale II, and Kolsh yeast). The temps have been 63 the entire time until today they are low 50's (My heater broke, im FREEZING!!)

I blame the starters I used. I must have underpitched, but now I am wandering if this beer is worth saving. Is it best to just dump the 10 gallons and call it a loss? or is there a way it can be saved?

Well it's going to just take longer at those temps if the yeast doesn't stop altogether. If you can get it warmed up, I'd bring it back into the 63. DON'T THROW IT OUT!!! If it is still fermenting, it is most likely fine. Just wait it out until you hit your FG.

[edit]duh I said taste longer, changed to TAKE[/url]

+1 to leave it...

A long fermentation doesn't mean a bad fermentation!

Hydrometer readings are the only way to know what's going on inside your Carboy. What was your Starting Gravity? What is your gravity now? All you need to do with this batch is bring it back up to temp, slowly.

Agreed. If it is still bubbling, it is still fermenting and will continue to ferment a while even after the bubbling stops. At those low temperatures it is going to take a lot longer. It will still be great though.

Back