Help with APA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassman2003

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a new member here and have been brewing for over 10 years. I mainly brew German and English style beers but I want to make an APA for my next beer. Last year I purchased a pound of Bravo hops for $9 so I thought I would make a beer to try them out. APA seemed like the best choice.

I do not really want a hop bomb, just a clean, pretty crisp but malty beer. One challenge is that I do not care for Crystal malt, so I am looking for a way to get the color between orange and light red. Sort of a little darker than a Mirror Pond Pale Ale.

Here is what I have so far:
80% Great Western 2-row
10% Vienna
7% Munich
? for Color
24 IBUs of Bravo Hops at 60min
6 IBUs of Bravo Hops at 5 min
WLP001 Yeast

Thanks for your suggestions.

For the color additions, you might want to check out Carafa III in a very small amount, and/or some Melonoidin malt.

The Carafa can lend a tiny bit of roastiness, but lots of folks add it to the end of the mash to minimize this. I like the slight roastiness, so just add it with my whole grain bill. Regardless, a pinch (~0.25 lb) of dark roasted malt will add some dark color like you described...

Good luck,
--LexusChris

Try home roasting your own malts. Barleypopmaker.com has a nice write up on home roasting grain. A nice dark amber roast will add nice color along with a great flavor malt. I think you should also add a hop along with bravo, like some C hops

Thanks for your replies. I will see if my LHBS has Caraffa III. If they don't would chocolate malt be a good alternative? I don't want to use roasted barley as I think it lends a Brittish flavor which I like in other beers.

Caraffa III, Briess Midnight Wheat or Breiss Blackprinz Malt should do the trick. Caraffa is the most likely to be found. Could use some chocolate if you need too.

One of my favorite IPA recipes uses amber malt in a tiny amount. It's nice, and dry. If you can't find amber malt, victory malt is great with the "toasty" flavor it brings.

I wouldn't use carafa or chocolate malt in an APA. There is a degree of roast that would come through.

for my DFH clone, I use 13 pounds of two-row and 6 ounces of Thomas Fawcett amber malt, and it's just about right in flavor although light in color. Victory malt would make it a tiny bit darker.

Another vote for either victory or amber malt. The flavor added goes great with an APA.

I also use some C120. Maybe 2-3 oz. I know you said you don't like crystal malts, but at that level the flavor is hardly perceptible.

Good stuff. Thanks. I am sure my LHBS will have a few of the suggested malts. I like toasty compared to roasted.

What do you think about the Vienna and the Munich? I thought I would divide and have a llittle of both.

I recently made an APA with some biscuit malt and will never make another APA without it. It was the recipe from Two Brothers Brewing for their The Bitter End

Kind of old thread but wanted to say thanks for the recipe help. I am enjoying my first APA attempt. Here is the recipe I went with:

78.6% Pale Malt
9.5% Biscuit Malt
9.5% Munich Malt 10L
2.4% Brown Malt
WLP 001

I did not make this overly hoppy and I like the flavor of the Bravo Hops.

Back