help with APA hopping schedule (CTZ and Amarillo)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tahoe2MSP

Reaction score
A pound each of Amarillo (7.7%) and CTZ (13.8%) was given to me for my birthday. I haven't used either of these hops before. So I was hoping to get a critique of my projected hop schedule. The grain bill has already been milled so I can't change that.

5.5gal batch

6 lb 2 row
5 lb maris otter
.5 lb Golden naked oats

Hop schedule:

8g CTZ @ 60
20g Amarillo @ 15
50g Amarillo 20 min hop stand at 160F

Mash at 150F for 60 min

Yeast: Wyeast 1272

Dry hop with 60g Amarillo

I'm Hoping for a hoppy pale ale that Doesn't have too much of a bitter bite

Also, any pointers on using CTZ in ways other than bittering and what to expect from them would be great!

Go for the hop stand. Probably go with a 2-1 amarillo/CTZ that way - based on my taste that is. 20 min at 160°F

Why not go for it anyway?

Consider FWH for the 10g instread of bittering,

I would consider using CTZ as part of the dryhop as well. 20g would be plenty.

What kind of flavor can I expect from this type of ratio?

Using that way, I would best describe it as dark citrus. A little dank, a bit earthy, somewhat herbal flavors. It will compliment the orange/grapefruit citrus of Amarillo.

Trillium loves to use CTZ as flavor, aroma, and dry hop additions. It gives that characteristic "American IPA" flavor and aroma

Check out these two threads for ideas on how to use it. Very versatile hop!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=586971

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=582436

Thanks for pointing me to these threads! I've wanting to try these New England IPA's. It sounds right down my alley with the smooth and low bitterness with tons of hop aroma and flavor. unfortunately, theyre nowhere to be found in Minneapolis. Guess I'll just have to brew a few myself! Ale of the Riverwards Hopwards recipe caught my eye this week and I've seen countless photos of tulips filled with trilliums juicy ales online.

Back