help with airlock and froth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aufevermike

Reaction score
OK guys, I'm sure this has happened to everyone. This is my first batch of beer. I'm brewing a Miner's Stout. I was certain to be clean and sanitized anything that the beer would come in contact with. Yesterday I finshed around 3 in the afternoon when I added yeast to the carboy and put the airlock on and added the water to the airlock. Well, this morning the kraeusen is bubbling out of the airlock and I don't see anymor water in the airlock, just froth. So I cleaned it off a bit and out some vodka in it and I could see the gases going through the vodka. But now it's happening again. the vodka is gone and the froth is passing through. HELP. what do I need to do in order to save my first batch??

It is fine!

So long as there is that much pressure escaping, nothing will get in.

Wait a while. rinse and repeat.

You could make a blow off tube. Take the main air lock piece and get some food grade tubing use hot water to make tubing soft and put it over the inside stem and put the air lock on and the other end of the tubing into a bucket of water then no more problems.

I'd recommend a blow off tube next time around, but for now, just make sure the lock doesn't clog up. Once it slows down clean the air lock out and it'll be good.

Remove the plug from your carboy, cover the opening of the carboy with plastic held on with a rubber band. Pole a hole in the plastic and set the carboy in a tub for easy cleanup. Wash up your plug and airlock to be replaced when the ferment settles down. No worries.

Remove the plug from your carboy, cover the opening of the carboy with plastic held on with a rubber band. Pole a hole in the plastic and set the carboy in a tub for easy cleanup. Wash up your plug and airlock to be replaced when the ferment settles down. No worries.

Is there any reason you would do this rather than a blowoff tube? Just curious really, never heard of doing it that way before.

Back