Help with AHS Vanilla Porter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

italynstallyn44

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing a Vanilla Porter from Austin Homebrew tomorrow. My question is about the Vanilla extract that comes with the kit. The vanilla extract is a powder extract that the instructions say to add at bottling/kegging time. But my question is do I just dump the powder in or do I have to mix with water that has been boiled?

Or should I bypass the powder extract altogether and use real liquid vanilla extract? If so, how much for a decent vanilla flavor in a 5 gal batch?

Pour your priming sugar and water mixture into the bottling bucket. Start siphoning the beer into the bottling bucket. Once you've got a half gallon or so siphoned into the bucket, slowly pour in the vanilla powder. It should mix reasonably well with the beer this way. If all else fails, once the beer is siphoned into the bottling bucket, give the beer a few gentle stirs to finish mixing in the powder. Then just bottle like you normally would.

I wouldn't worry about boiling the powder. It really shouldn't be that big of an issue.

If you are really concerned, you should just e-mail Forest at AHS. He's good about answering customer questions.

Back