Help with a recipe, maybe a Dunkel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abledsoe

Reaction score
So I ordered ingredients from Brewmaster's Warehouse to brew up the Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefeweizen. Unfortunately it took them a month to get it to me and I had a brewing deadline so I had to get the ingredients elsewhere to brew in time. So now I have the original order from BMW and I don't really want to make another batch of the Hefe and thought maybe I could add to it a little and make a dunkel or something.

I have 3.75# of Weyermann's Pale Wheat, 2.25# of Weyermann's Pilsner, 1oz. of Hallertau and Wyeast 3068.

I brew 2.5-3 gallon batches

Thanks for any help!

Add some chocolate malt and away you go! I'd guess about 2-4oz would work in a 2.5 gal batch depending on your taste for toastyness! I use 4-6 in my 5 gal dunkels.

You might want to try a Carafa II or III malt. It is a de-husked chocolate producing a milder flavor that is desireable in a Geman dark. Here is my Dunkle for a 5 gallon:

7# Wheat Malt
3# Pils
.5# Vienna
.5# Munich
.5# Cara Vienne (40L crystal substitute if you want)
1.5 - 2 oz Carafa special type II

1.25 oz Hallertaur @ 60
.25 oz Hallertaur @ 30

Back