Help with a recipe ingredient.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker18

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to be doing a Brew House IPA with a modification. Looked at their website and found the Imperial India Pails of Ale. Got everything but have a problem with 1 lb. Irek light caramel malt (or other caramel malt of less than 3°L). The LHBS that I go to have never heard of (or don't carry) and Caramel less the 15L. What other grain can be used for this? I have been looking around at what is for sale and can't find low lov. caramel. Can this be a typo?

Caramel malts don't come below 10°L. I'm guessing they meant for you to use one that's less than 30°L. Although on closer inspection, their website does list a 2.7°L caramel malt. So now I'm very confused. Dextrine would add similar color, but no residual sweetness, just body. Try calling them up and let us know what you find. My curiousity is peaked.

That is what I was thinking, I can find dextrin malts as low as 1.7L, but no one calls them caramel malts. My LHBS had some at 15L, but were sold out, so I got 30L. Should I hold off on this and get something else, or go with the 30L?
From Brew House website:
Caramel, light (Irek—Germ.); 2.7°L
gives pale beers fuller and more balanced flavour, and improved body, with very little effect on colour.

I can't find this anywhere, does someone know where to get some of this?

ALso, I really don't care about the colour, with these wort kits, the colour comes out very good, maybe a bit darker than what is expected. I assume that the grain would be for taste and mouthfeel, so any pro's out there that can help, or offer a replacement for this, please do.

Carafoam is another proprietary brand of Dextrine malt. CaraPils is Briess's product, and CaraFoam is Weyermann's. They are essentially interchangeable. Both are Crystal malts. They are made by the same process as Crystal malts of darker colors and have the same practical properties. The main difference is that Dextrine malts are so light they impart no flavor or color.

And when it comes to malts, 'Crystal' and 'Caramel' are the same thing. Briess's 'Caramel 60' is essentially the same as Simpon's 'Medium Crystal'.

You dig?

Bob

Back