Help with a macadamia nut chocolate stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbug440

Reaction score
My wife and I tried macadamia nut chocolate stout called gallows point. It's made by Skullcoast brewery in S.C. We thought it was fantastic and I would like to brew something similar. The macadamia and chocolate flavor and aroma really come through in this beer. If I brew a 6 gallon batch (A.G.) should I just use chocolate malt or maybe cocoa and how much? I've never brewed with nuts (u know what I mean) can I mash the macadamia nuts? Or add them to the boil? Should I chop them up in a little food processor?any thoughts on amounts? Thanks in advance for any suggestions?

Adding chocolate will SUBSTANTIALLY increase the bitterness of your beer. I'd vote for trying chocolate malt first. If you don't think it's enough chocolate character, add cocoa nibs.

As for the nuts. . . I would add extract at bottling, instead of using the nuts themselves.

Back