Help with a double infusion mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSGT09

Reaction score
I have 3 AG batches under my belt and have just been doing single infusion batch sparges. I ran across a recipe for Paulaner clone on NB that calls for double infusion mash. It all seems really complicated to me so I wanted to seek clarification. Mash profile below...can you guys give me an "idiots guide" version to this?

Mash Name: Double Infusion, Light Body Total Grain Weight: 9.09 lb
Sparge Water: 13.79 L Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Protein Rest Add 6.54 L of water at 120.3 F 111.0 F 20 min
Saccrification Add 5.54 L of water at 212.0 F 152.0 F 40 min
Step Heat to 168.0 F over 2 min 168.0 F 10 min

Basically what this is telling you is to mix your dry grain with 6.54L of water that is 120.3F (this will cause your mash to balance out to 111F) and let that sit for 20 minutes. Then mix in 5.54L of boiling water (check your boiling water temp because water boils at different temps due to elevation, mine does at 210F) and that will bring your mash to 152F. Let it sit for 40 minutes. Step heating is when you are using a kettle as your mash tun and you heat the entire mash over flame (most commonly). You do this until the mash heats to 168 and let that sit for 10 minutes.

You can do a step mash in different ways; infusions, steps, and decoctions. Infusions are when you add hot water at different temperatures to raise the overall mash temperature. I like to start low and add boiling water to hit my temps. It's the most consistent. Steps are what I described above; heating the entire mash at once; decoctions are done by removing a portion of the mash and boiling it separately, then adding back to the mash tun to raise the overall temperature.

If it is the names of the different steps that are confusing you, a protein rest is used to result in a clearer beer. By my understanding, keeping the mash at that initial temperature (I do 122F) breaks down proteins in the grain which will reduce chill haze later on. Saccharification is the name of the process in which the starches in the grain are converted to sugars. And I've already explained what step heating is.

If you don't have the capability of doing a step mash, then you can convert to something else using brewing software. I am a huge fan of BeerSmith 2 and highly recommend it, but there are free options out there that will do the calculations or you. I hope I've answered your question!

It is describing doing a protein rest which is seldom ever necessary. In fact, if you're using a highly modified malt (which most are) it can actually be detrimental to your beer. If it were me, I'd mash at 148 for 90 min. and call it good.

Back