Help with a Belgian Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcchaus

Reaction score
I brewed a 5 gallon batch of Belgian Wit and wanted a pronounced orange flavor so used 1oz bitter orange in the last 5 minutes of the boil with another 1oz when racking to secondary. I just took a sample to get my FG and realized I made a big mistake by adding the additional bitter orange peel. The brew is slightly too bitter and the orange is definitely too pronounced. OG was 1.052 and FG was 1.010 with 14.1 IBU's so I'm thinking the bitterness must be coming from the orange peel. Any suggestions for what I can do to fix it?

Did you add whole dried bitter peel pieces? If so skip that zest an orange and 1/3 of a grapefruit. That should give you the right flavor. If you want more use two oranges. I go about an ounce or a little more depending on what I'm going for.

Now to fix that I don't know of anything. Let it sit maybe it will condition and smooth out.

Yep, it was the whole dried bitter pieces. I'll definitely readjust the spicing for the next time around.

For this one... should I just let it sit in secondary and hope it smooths out or should I get it into bottles and condition there?

Latest posts

Back