Help with 1st mead batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Z0rch_

Reaction score
Hey everyone so i started making my first mead batch from a mead making kit off amazon. Ive always wanted to try making it so this seemed like a good way to get started. I'm about 2 weeks in after setting it aside in a cool dark room, about 69-72F, and a friend mentioned that I should separate the yeast from the rest of the mix at some point. I don't remember seeing that in the kit. Is this something I should take into account are there any other tips I should use

Hey everyone so i started making my first mead batch from a mead making kit off amazon. Ive always wanted to try making it so this seemed like a good way to get started. I'm about 2 weeks in after setting it aside in a cool dark room, about 69-72F, and a friend mentioned that I should separate the yeast from the rest of the mix at some point. I don't remember seeing that in the kit. Is this something I should take into account are there any other tips I should use
When fermentation finished, yes. Otherwise, no.

Your can read the bomm thread at the top of this forum, there you will find plenty of information. Another great site is https://www.meadmaderight.com/

When you read it, you'll see why the Amazon kit might give you bad and outdated instructions, but no worries, you can still b make a second one while waiting for the first to be drinkable :)

I recommend the bomm recipe for your next mead. Just make sure that you use the updated recipe, which does not use fermaid k but only uses fermaid o.

When fermentation finished, yes. Otherwise, no.

Your can read the bomm thread at the top of this forum, there you will find plenty of information. Another great site is https://www.meadmaderight.com/

When you read it, you'll see why the Amazon kit might give you bad and outdated instructions, but no worries, you can still b make a second one while waiting for the first to be drinkable :)

I recommend the bomm recipe for your next mead. Just make sure that you use the updated recipe, which does not use fermaid k but only uses fermaid o.
I follow the bomm protocol for my batches, highly recommend it. however, the updated protocol still uses one dose of Fermaid K, so make sure it’s on your shopping list.
but to answer you question, once’s it’s completely clear, rack (siphon) the clear mead away from the sediments on the bottom. Once it’s completely clear and no longer carbonated, it’s ready to bottle and age. Most mead, unless you followed the BOMM or TOSNA protocol, have to wait at least 6 months if not a year before they are ready to drink.

I follow the bomm protocol for my batches, highly recommend it. however, the updated protocol still uses one dose of Fermaid K, so make sure it’s on your shopping list.
but to answer you question, once’s it’s completely clear, rack (siphon) the clear mead away from the sediments on the bottom. Once it’s completely clear and no longer carbonated, it’s ready to bottle and age. Most mead, unless you followed the BOMM or TOSNA protocol, have to wait at least 6 months if not a year before they are ready to drink.
My bad, it was the updated tosna that had the option to only use fermaid o.

I think but am not certain that Fermaid O is supposed to be organic and K is supposed to be kosher but they are essentially the same (I am not sure what might be non kosher in the O that is not found in the K)...

Fermaid K contains DAP and other minerals, but most mead recipes have even more DAP added to the Ferm K. Fermaid O is organic and seems to be more complete, but the BOMM protocol still uses one dose of Ferm K for the trace elements, while TOSNA uses goferm for those traces.

I think if you check Goferm is used when you rehydrate yeast. Nutrients that you add to must will kill rehydrating yeast. Their cell walls are not capable of dealing with Fermaid. These are two very different compounds and used in very different ways.

I think if you check Goferm is used when you rehydrate yeast. Nutrients that you add to must will kill rehydrating yeast. Their cell walls are not capable of dealing with Fermaid. These are two very different compounds and used in very different ways.

Yes, I know that goFerm is for rehydration, but it’s dosage is scaled in the tosna protocol to be used for its trace elements as well, since it’s all pitched in.
I was referring to how Fermaid K has stuff in it that are needed for the BOMM protocol, which uses a liquid yeast so there is no rehydration. TOSNA doesn’t use Fermaid K since it uses goferm to add those missing elements.
either way, follow the directions out lined by their respective websites and you’ll get a better mead/wine sooner than if you just pitched and wait. Fermaid O is said to have a cleaner finish and saves honey aroma much better than using Fermaid K and DAP

BOMM https://www.denardbrewing.com/blog/post/brays-one-month-mead/
TOSNA https://www.meadmaderight.com/tosna.html

Last edited:
Back