Help! Wine not clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

14wiggles14

Reaction score
So I started my first 1 gallon of cherry puree wine, followed directions, added fining agent and all that, and have been waiting for it to clear for almost a month past the date that it should have cleared...any ideas or instructions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

what type of "not clear" is it? Is it still basically opaque, or is it more of a cloudy? Also, which fining agent did you use? It would also be helpful to have the recipe and/or any notes you have about it. There are several different things that can cause a wine not to clear.

if you haven't already, throw it in the fridge for about 2 weeks and see if that helps.

Pectin haze could be the issue, fining agents will not clear a wine that has a pectin haze. If you haven't added pectic enzyme then rack off the existing sediment and add the recommended amount for your batch size. Then wait it out.

Also a wine that is not clear of trapped Co2 will not clear properly either, the gas keeps the particles in suspension.

what type of "not clear" is it? Is it still basically opaque, or is it more of a cloudy? Also, which fining agent did you use? It would also be helpful to have the recipe and/or any notes you have about it. There are several different things that can cause a wine not to clear.

if you haven't already, throw it in the fridge for about 2 weeks and see if that helps.

http://www.homebrewit.com/wine-beer-fruit-purees.php

I used this and followed the directions there...it's still opaque, basically looks the same as the day I siphoned it off the sediment. Since this was my first venture into wine making, I'm pretty clueless.

If you followed that recipe with all the ingredients, you simply have to wait longer. It really does take longer than you think. That juice (purree) has a lot of solid matter in it, it's going to take a while to settle; I'm thinking of something around 9 months. Set it in a corner till June, rack it off the sediment that is there, then use a finning agent such as super-kleer to finish it off. http://tinyurl.com/bvgcp7y.

If you followed that recipe with all the ingredients, you simply have to wait longer. It really does take longer than you think. That juice (purree) has a lot of solid matter in it, it's going to take a while to settle; I'm thinking of something around 9 months. Set it in a corner till June, rack it off the sediment that is there, then use a finning agent such as super-kleer to finish it off. http://tinyurl.com/bvgcp7y.

Holy hell, 9 months?! I figured that I was just being impatient, but I didn't realize it would take that long, since the recipe only says 4 weeks. Thanks for the info though, I'm going to follow your advice and see what happens...been thinking about trying to make some mead so I'll hop over to that thread and bug some people there too. :cross: Thanks again!

Back