Help, wine ix to sweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildozarkwine

Reaction score
I made a 5 gal batch of raisin wine and it finished way to sweet, the sg is 1.085. I used 14 lb of raisins and 12 lb sugar with D47 yeast, not thinking that 1 lb of raisins = 4 lb of grapes. I thought about adding some EC1118 yeast to see if it would burn enough sugar to make it drinkable but I have my doughts about this.
I also thought about making another batch of raisin with less sugar so it comes out dry abd blending the 2 batches.
What are your thoughts on a solution for this? Any ideas are welcome.

What was the starting SG? If it's already at the alcohol tolerance of most wine yeast strains, the only solution is to dilute it if it's too sweet and won't ferment further. Or I guess you could age it a long time and serve it as a port.

I don't know what the starting SG was, I fermented on the fruit which makes it hard to get a reading. The port sounds like a good idea, haven't made any (yet). Will look into that. Thanks.

Wow, if it really ended up at 1.085 (did you use a hydrometer or refractometer to check?), then it must have started at some ridiculously high OG. You are asking for explosions if you don't get that down to a more reasonable FG. I'd reyeast, which if it is at a high ABV will be difficult without getting it going 1st. Good luck!

Back