HELP! Wife lost sanitizer, what else can I use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hefeweizengeliebter

Reaction score
Wife lost my bag of sanitizer and the LHBS is closed for the weekend.... is there anything else I can use w/o affecting the quality of the beer? or is there some where else I can pick up sanitizer?

any suggestions?

bleach in low concentrations is fine 1 tablespoon to a gallon for a sanitizer is all that is needed. or you could just boil everything for 15 mins

you could always pee in your fermentation bucket*

someone had to say it...

*vintage thread reference

Iodine is a great idea! If you can get some, that would work great.

I'd use bleach, diluted as suggested by John Palmer, and rinsed very, very well. Use the unscented regular Chlorox. It'll work just fine. My first few experiments in brewing (Beer Machine 2000- ugh!) used bleach for a sanitizer. If rinsed well, you'll be just fine.

Seriously...bleach.
I listened to a podcast where an expert on sanitizing with bleach said you don't even need to rinse (not that I would do that if I used bleach).
I also know brewers who use bleach, rinse with tap water, and make great beer.
RDWHAHB.

one thing I do know is... NOT to use bleach, because of something to do with the chlorine

At the risk of being rude, that is wrong, wrong, wrong. In my years of working in the food industry, we used bleach almost exclusively, because it was one of the few sanitizers that the health inspector would approve. I used bleach for many years as a homebrewer with NEVER a spoiled batch. Why did I get away from it?? I got sick of rinsing, and also I got sick of ruining my clothes when I accidentally splashed bleach solution on them. I switched to Iodophor and had several spoiled batches. I've had better luck with Star-San, though.

I used the bleach just to sanitize what I needed tonight.....

Another reason I do not like to use bleach at all, is I am allergic to the chlorine in it

Bleach is fine and has been working for me for years. Get the book in my signature, It will give you a solid foundation in homebrewing and questions like this won't be asked... because you will all ready know the answer.

Back